Restarting my turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

After many months of being inactive in pen making, it is time to back into the swing of things. A job loss forced some changes. Had to give up our previous house with my big shop. Now will be forced to work out of the garage, which isn't really an issue except for a couple things.

What I am hoping for is some advice on heating the garage. I live in GA so overall it's not too cold, but a garage even at 50 degrees is too cool. In the winter it does get pretty chilly here. Looking at a low of 29 tonight with a high of only 48 tomorrow and its not winter yet!

Anyway, what does everyone suggest? It is a rental home, so I cannot put up a big heater. I also have limited electrical capacity. I'm thinking a small 1500W heater turned on about an hour before I want to turn would warm up the work area enough to make it comfortable. Maybe a smaller heater right at the work bench for when I am actually turning.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I use a propane heater to get things warm quickly. Then I have a space heater close to where I'm working. That will usually last for a couple hours before I have to crank up the propane again. When it's really cold, I leave the propane running on low. A 20 pound bottle will usually last a month this way (just weekends mostly).

My shop is not well insulated, so the propane fumes don't build up much.

I also have a portable A/C unit from SAM's. It does just enough to let me stay comfortable when it 95 outside. And my garage is about 20 x 20.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is similar to the one I used when I was in the garage, in Wisconsin.

Heats the place up quickly and serves as a "ready reheater" if needed.

This one is substantially lower priced than the one I had AND it looks like it has higher output!!

magier412

Hi Ed. That link went to a page with both propane and kerosene heaters...Which one did you recommend?

I'm turning in my garage still (hope to someday have a shop), and this morning it was 21 degrees here in North Seattle...brrrrrrrrr. It's a balmy 33 now :)

Thanks for the advice...

G1Pens

Link

Hi Ed. That link went to a page with both propane and kerosene heaters...Which one did you recommend?

I'm turning in my garage still (hope to someday have a shop), and this morning it was 21 degrees here in North Seattle...brrrrrrrrr. It's a balmy 33 now :)

Thanks for the advice...

I think the one at the top of the list is the "deal". It is propane and a very good price.

BSea

Thanks for the advice...

I think the one at the top of the list is the "deal". It is propane and a very good price.
That's looks identical to what I use. I got mine at Tractor Supply. I used it today to do some casting. It's 32 here today. I was in short sleeves in the garage, and had it on about half power after the warm up.

Last edited:
I use a kerosene like Ed suggested for about 20 minutes and then turn on a small regular Kerosun that keeps it toasty for my length of stay. I'm in TN so a little cooler than where you are. I, too, am in a garage.

avbill

i have a 11 x 8 shop i need to have the garage door open all the time Remember what Mark twain said, The coldest winter winter he spend was a summer in San Francisco. The wet fog I have a single heater unit that fits on a small portable propane tank tank with fuel was 46.00 & the heater I got on sale @ HF for 32.00. Keeps me toastly.

Top Bottom