Respirators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leather Man

I need some advice on respirators if anyone out there uses one when you turn or do your sanding. What make and model do you use. Should the respirators have a certain micron filter? I have one I bought from Woodcraft that has two filters on it. When I turn, I have my DC on and the respirator on but when I am done my nose still seams to plug up. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.
Thanks
Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ruffy

Hi Ben,

I personally prefer a powered respirator, especially when turning wood like Cocobolo. I run both a 2hp DC as well as a room Air Filter. My workshop is 8m by 4m and a 1/6hp room air filter does the job nicely.

The powered respirator I use is a Triton one about $280Aus, not sure if they are available in the USA, but here is a link for you to get an idea what I am talking about.. http://www.triton.net.au/products/resp.html.

Given what is now known about the effects of wood dust it certainly better to spend more now on the right equipment than it is to pay the price with your health later on.

badwin

Ben
Make sure you have the right type of cartridges for your mask. There are particulate cartridges (which you need), chemical cartridges which remove vapours and combination which include both. Also make sure that the respirator fits properly. Go to the web site of the respirator that you wear and it should tell you the right filters and how to fit test the respirator. If you have any facial hair it also will interfere with the seal of the facepiece. When the mask is fit properly, has the right seal and right cartridges it should remove any pariculates that you inhale through the cartridges. Hope this helps.
Brian

Rifleman1776

I bandsaw a lot of aromatic red cedar into pen blanks. That makes huge amounts of dust and I am very sensitive to the cedar. I recently bought a Dust Bee Gone mask. At first I thought I had been ripped off by the price ($35.00) for a little bit of cloth. It doesn't look like much but I have found it to be very effective. Without it, an hour of sawing cedar and my mouth and throat are raw for a week. With it, no problem. When needed a little soapy water and hand rinse, back good as new.

Leather Man

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. For a half mask the 3M 7500 with the P100 filters seam to get a lot of votes on some of the other forums. The Trend Airshield and the Triton get good reports but they are pretty expensive.
Thanks again.
Ben

Hi Ben
Look at www.northsafety.com
Look for crf-1 That is the most comfortable mask that I have ever wore.
About $ 25.00 I think that is what I paid, it has replaceable filters.
It is verry light the filters are about $16.00 for 20 filters.
I have no intrest in this CO. or any thing to do with it except that I'm a sattfied custmor.
Just Charlie

Thumbs

Now this is funny! I just got back from our local Lowes store where I bought.....you guessed it, the last respirator they had on the shelf. It's the kind with two cartridges, one on each side. It was about $27-$28. I bought two extra replacement cartridges for an additional $15+/-. I guess I'm not the only one worried about dust, huh? Now I've got to go try it on (model it for my wife!)

anstranger

Did you get a cartridge type mask? These will give you a better seal than the trow away paper/cloth ones. I quit using those because stuff was still getting in my nose.

coach

I just bought one yesterday from Home Deopot. It was $29. Rated for fumes and particles. Turned 8 pens this morning 3 antler. Didn't smell the antler and breathed clean the whole time. Very much needed. I used to wear paper masks. Don't recommend them!

rtparso

Let me start by stating my qualifications. I have worked safely in industry and research (science) since 1975. I am a certified hazardous material worker (EPA Hazardous Waste Worker 40 CFR 165.15/29 CFR 1910.120) and have worked in hazardous environments (H2S) with positive pressure respirators (SCBA). If you consider what you are working with truly hazardous (like serious allergies or chemical sensitivities) as a personal opinion I would not wear anything but a positive pressure (air supplied) respirator. If you are just concerned about “nuisance dust†(mild allergies, clogged nose) a paper dust mask is all you need. If you are going to use a paper mask get one with 2 straps (like a 3M 8210). Take the time to fit it around the nose. I wear a full beard (used to have to shave until I quit working hazmat) and glasses and have no problem getting the 3M 8210 to seal. I have sanded lots of wood and never find dust in my noise. BUT DO NOT rely on this setup to protect you from anything hazardous. In industry you CAN NOT wear a respirator with out a fit test. If you want to try to perform a fit test your self (I can’t recommend it) get some banana oil. But on the mask that you think fits and put it on, but some banana oil on a cloth and without touching the mask hold it close to the edges and breathe normally. If you don’t smell the banana oil it should be a good fit. If it is a positive pressure the fit is not nearly as important. Also remember that your eyes are a soft mucus membrane and a good uptake point. I hope this helps you choose a mask that you are comfortable.

woodscavenger

I also use a cheap 2 cartridge setup from HF. It felt a little heavy at first and myneck hurt. I popped of the cartridge and there is still a very thick filter remaining so I popped both metal cartridges off and it makes no difference for wood dust. I use mine all the time. I still found CA fumes very noxious. Since I don't have a dust collector I put my wide mouth attachment on my shop vac, put on my ear muffs, use the banjo to wedge the shop vac attachement under the pen and now use that when I sand and do CA. I never even smell the CA anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom