Research paper help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ok, does anyone have an links or input on a research paper about turning? I have been working on one that needs to be in a few days but I am by no means a writer.

TL;DR any articles or webpages that ya'll know of that have info that could apply to this rough outline. Not asking for someone to write if for me but any help would be appreciated.

I. History

II. Uses
A. Decorative
B. Functional

III.
A. Demographic
B. Commercial
1. Business
2. Hobby

IV. Tech advances
A. Sharpening
B. Tools
1. HSS
2. Carbide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Go to your public library and look for older wood turning books,great information in then covering most of what you are looking for.

Who is the audience, and what are the length guidelines? What is your 'thesis' - i.e. what are you trying to prove with your research?

Is it a formal paper for an academic purpose or body?

Just academic, I am homeschooled so the format is a little relaxed. 10 pg minimum including title, outline, bibliography, Ect. No specific thesis, though I would say "a short intro to woodturning" essentially.

Edit: welp forgot to copy point 3 "popularity".

Last edited:

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Ok, does anyone have an links or input on a research paper about turning? I have been working on one that needs to be in a few days but I am by no means a writer.

TL;DR any articles or webpages that ya'll know of that have info that could apply to this rough outline. Not asking for someone to write if for me but any help would be appreciated.

I. History

II. Uses
A. Decorative
B. Functional

III.
A. Demographic
B. Commercial
1. Business
2. Hobby

IV. Tech advances
A. Sharpening
B. Tools
1. HSS
2. Carbide
A man by the name of Roy Underhill has a PBS Program called the Woodwright's Shop which uses all old non power (not using steam, water or any other mechanical power) machines including a spring pole lathe. He has written several books on the subject including "The Woodwright's guide-working wood with Wedge and Edge" and several other titles. He was the housewright at Colonial Williamsburg. He is affiliated with the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill - I think).. Might want to find some of his books (might be available on e-books although I'm not certain of that). That would take you back probably a couple of centuries as far as lathe technique and machines go. The trouble is that turning on a lathe is much more ancient than that. Good luck with your paper!

Last edited:

monophoto

Levi

I'm involved professionally in technical writing. One of the mistakes that beginning writers often make is making the subject of their work too broad. We often joke about people attempting to address 'the universe and related topics'.

My sense is that you are falling into that trap. Focus on one aspect of woodturning - your proposed outline is too comprehensive. And considering the context, I suggest focusing on a non-technical area such as the history of woodturning.

darrin1200

I havent research this but the association may have some info:
American Association of Woodturners

I'm a member, and when it comes to information on the world of wood turning, I would give this a big +1.

The downside, is that most of the material is only available to members. I'm not here to sell memberships.
That said, membership is cheap. $55 for a membership, $24 for a student. In my mind, this pays for the 6 print magazines and the 6 digital magazines you get. Outside of your paper, if your interested in turning at all ths is a great resource. They also have a great forum.

Membership - Benefits & Levels - American Association of Woodturners

Good luck with your paper, I hope you will publish it here when complete. I woulld enjoy reading it.

Top Bottom