rescued from the burn pile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moyehow

moyehow

I was riding down the road the one day and saw a trash pile in a pecan orchid. I found out who owned the orchid and call the lady to ask permission to get a few pieces of wood from the trash pile. She said no problem, get all you want. A few days later, I handed her a bowl from one of the pieces of wood I salvaged from the pile. She could not believe it. She broke down and cried. She told me how her husband had passed away two years ago and had cut that pecan tree down pinecone 025.jpg

pinecone 024.jpg right before he died.
Two pecan bowls from more of the wood i collected from the trash pile.
One Black Cherry bowl from Wood we cut down to put in a parking lot at our church.

Question: Can someone tell me what caused the orange stain in the pecan bowl? I've had several people ask and I don't know. All I can tell them is it's either a mineral stain or from bugs. Can someone tell me what it might be?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

That is a great short story and one that has a great background. I am sure she is very pleased to had your bowls to remind her of times past.

I really like the woods in both of your pictures. You really did a good thing here! :biggrin:

ElMostro

....Question: Can someone tell me what caused the orange stain in the pecan bowl? I've had several people ask and I don't know. All I can tell them is it's either a mineral stain or from bugs. Can someone tell me what it might be?

Nice save there. Ref the orange staining, I have a piece pf spalted pecan that has the same stain...I ruined a bandsaw blade while cutting it...it had a couple of hidden nails in the wood and the area around the nails had that orange stain...so, I concluded it was rust stains but don't know for sure. Great bowls!
Eugene.

THarvey

Great looking bowls and wonderful story.

Given where you live, my guess is the red/orange stain is mineral. Maybe some iron traces in the water supply.

Another posibility...When I lived in Albany, GA the commercial pecan orchards would inpregnate the ground with a chemical barrier to wood boring insects. The chemicals would stain the wood in the new growth for a couple years.

moyehow

I finished one of the pecan and the cherry with bethlehem friction finish after I sanded to 600 and applied EEE sanding wax.

The other pecan, I sanded down to 600, then added CA glue, EEE sanding wax, then friction polish, buffed with buffing wheel. It had a few soft spots that needed stabilizing. Both pecan bowls had to have CA glue to help stabilize while turning.

Still working on a finishing process. All my finishes are applied on the lathe.

Top Bottom