Rescued fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dangermouse

Dangermouse

Just got a delivery of new nibs in the post from Lou - I can't find the original thread, so I thought I'd reply here with pics of the first transplant patient.

I did these two churchills about a month ago out of some crosscut osage orange I got from a friend (thanks woodenink! ;)). After finishing them, I filled the fountain pen and tried writing with it, and found it was almost unusable, the nib was terrible - scratchy, and intermittent ink flow [xx(]. I downloaded the 'behind the nib' articles and tried tuning it, which improved it considerably, but it was still pretty ordinary.

Eventually, I took the plunge and asked Lou for a few packs of nibs. The fountain pen from this set is the first (been home 30 minutes so far, so havent had a chance to do any others).
First impressions - fantastic! The new nibs are a whole new ball game. Veeeerrry nice to write with, with no adjustment needed. [8D]
I also have to say thanks to Lou for generously including a pair of vacuum converters, I have a choice pair of pens in mind for those ones!

The pens have been sanded to 1500 grit and coated with rustin's plastic finish (CA used as a sealer/stabiliser before the finish). Here's the pair in all their splendor:

20083287831_orange%20churchills3.jpg

20083287850_orange%20churchills.jpg

The new nib installed:
200832872115_nib%20detail.jpg

And the final result:
20083287228_renibbed%20churchill.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Beautiful pens Dave, I have been playing with the Rustins finish and it is a great alternative to a CA finish.[8D]

Your fit and finish is spot on and the woods used are awesome![:p][:p]

jhs494

Great looking pens.
The grain really shows off well. The finish is top notch!

Thanks for sharing them with us!

Top Bottom