replacement pen parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fyrcaptn

Okay, first off I'm pretty new here and I searched through the library, 87 pages of posts, search function and all and didn't find this anywhere. If someone can/will direct me if this exists please do and accept my apologies.

My question I am sure has HAD to have been around (probably MANY times).
I am still pretty new and still make stupid mistakes. Sometimes occassionally and sometimes a string of them.
When I screw up, like I did yesterday, and mess up a pen part is there a place to replace a part like a transmission or does that oops trash the whole kit?
I have about 6 kits that I've trashed the transmission of. Just one example that I don't know how to get along without. Its me. I can't blame anyone else. I have to get a handle on this taking apart business without trashing things. It isn't a bad part, just what I for now am referring to as an expensive learning process... sheesh.
It hadn't happened in a while but I made up for it in one day. Finally stopped left the shop, ate something, played with the dogs a while and quit beating my head against the wall - then went back and got what I needed done.
So... any answers, ideas or suggestions?
Appreciate the help, and the patience!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome and we all have trashed a part or two.

Hopefully, not too many in one day!!!

Some trannys are avaialble at www.woodnwhimsies.com

What kit did you trash? That will help in telling you what you need.

Try the above and see, they have the cross tranny and some parkers. Others are more difficult to find.

Woodcraft sells some, too.

sbell111

I also screw things up with some frequency. I also occasionally run across kits with bad parts. For the most part, I just store the remaining 'partial' kit organized in a box so I can use it's remaining bits when I need them. Of course, some parts are readily available: transmissions, tubes, all slimline/comfort parts, for instance. I try to keep extra tubes and transmissions on-hand, since they are relatively inexpensive and the most likely parts for me to destroy.

GoodTurns

welcome to my world!:D Keep a tray/basket/box handy and when you wreck a part, either find one in the box or put the remaining parts in the box...next time, your odds of finding what you need will go up!

rickstef

and get the appropriate disassembly tools for the kit in question

I don't know how many times I have been able to save a kit/pen by reseating the transmission

JimB

Once I had collected 3 mistakes (pens that needed to be disassembled)I broke down and bought the disassembly kit. It paid for itself instantly and saved all 3 pens. I have also used it a couple more times since then.

You may also find that if you go look at one of the disassembly kits and read the instructions, you may find you have everything you need laying around your shop. I didn't so i just bought one.

bitshird

Harbor Freight sell a great disassembly tool kit, they call them transfer punches, although they are quite expensive, about 8.00 U.S. compared to what 20.00 from PSI or A.S.
they have them on sale for 5.99 frequently, and you'll be surprised how handy they are. ;););)

its_virgil

Most of our suppliers sell transmissions. You've already been given one source and another is Woodcraft. Every Woodcraft store I've been in has transmissions for both the parker and cross refills in 5 packs. As for other parts, most of them are not available. Keeping a supply of all parts for all kits is not feasible nor profitable for the kit suppliers.

If a kit is missing a part or has a defective part contact the supplier as soon as the new kit arrives. I've never had one of our suppliers refuse to make good on kits with defective or missing parts. But, check them as soon as you get them.

Several of us make pens and don't use all of the parts screw up a kit now and then(well, I'll admit I've screwed up my share of kits) and we keep the parts and have extras of some. Ask here for the part you need...be specific as to the kit and part. It is best to use the part name that is on the instruction sheet. That way there is no confustion as to which part you need.

Good luck.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

fyrcaptn

Fantastic to hear. I know $5-8 a pop isn't a lot but, it sure can add up. I see a trip to Woodcraft AND HF in my future.
HF is easy, Woodcraft is a planned trip.
Thank you all for the replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take the ad with you to Harbor Freight. Their stores will usually match the internet, but don't always have the same price on the shelf.

brez

In addition to my ever growing supply of "spare parts" otherwise known as the oops bin, I have found the vendors a good source of replacement parts for pen kits. the price often seems high for the part, but if it allows you to use an otherwise un-useable kit it's worth it.

Mike

Top Bottom