Repairs, new parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I had new parts installed in my left knee this week; the full set of new parts. So far so good, today I moved up from walker to a nice looking black locust cane that I made a few months ago. I'm noticably wobbly and more than a little slow yet.
I know a lot of people here have had replacement knees and hips with little or no problems and hopefully I won't have any problems either; it is looking promising so far.
I really intended to do this with maximum macho, totally ignoring the pain. But once the surgery anastetic wore off I was crying like a baby and begging for something powerful for pain. I had never had a narcotic pain killer before, they took care of the pain but left me totally loopy. I spent most of an afternoon staring at my laptop screen, but I don't think I typed anything, at least I hope I didn't.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good luck Gerry . I had mine done in February '07 . When I finally got out without crutches , I walked thru some snow , and by force of habit tried to stomp my feet before I came into the house . BIG mistake !! :eek: You won't have that problem . Be careful not to drag your foot sideways though , that hurts alot too . DAMHIKT :redface: The pain killers will be your best friend for awhile . I too , was going to be macho , but that didn't last very long . Take care !

BTW, is there a picture of that cane ? I've been wanting to make one .

Last edited:

woodchip

good luck and a speedy recovery to you. I just had my quad tendon sewn back together a month ago and the pain killers have not done much for me and still have not been able to get to the shop.

Wild Turkey

Best of luck Gerry! What ever you do go all out with the PT and it WILL pay off in the long run. I had my left knee replaced several years back did every thing and more in PT and was bowling using that knee within 6 weeks. It is about the only thing that doesn't hurt now on my body!!!

PR_Princess

I hope that you feel better soon Gerry. I sounds like you have already made remarkable progress! I am sure that in no time you will be bounding about.

In the meantime...take the meds. Not for the pain, I want to see those loopy posts!:biggrin:

Gerry,
My wife had a total hip replacement on Jan 20... she went 5 years in pain before the surgery... she's still in recovery, but has done all the therapy etc... and only uses her cane occasionally if the ground is rough or she has a lot of walking to do... it's great to see her walking with a lot more ease. Follow all the doctors instructions and you'll do fine.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

Both of my parents have had their knees worked on - mom's was a total replacement in the mid-1990's. She thought the pain was terrible, took six weeks to recover. Then, a year later, she had the other one done. This one, she said was much easier. So, by now, I hope you find it's a "piece of cake" by next week.

Good luck, but both parents are now mobile, without pain. (They are only 85 though)

Very distinguished, walking with a hand-made cane!!!

Chasper

Chuck asked to see a picture of the cane. I used a kit from CSUSA. They are a pain to make, getting the grain to stay in line between the sections is a challenge.

I included the "in-use" picture to show you that it does work.

Don't you like the look of these TED hose? They are a little snug.

Thanks for all the well wishes, they seem to be working.

Attachments

• cane 3 pcs-300.jpg
    cane 3 pcs-300.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 91
  • cane standing-300.jpg
    cane standing-300.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Gerry . Glad to see you using it . I have a cousin who collects these things , and thought about making one for him . My hose was tight too . I was single at the time , so I got all the cool tools to help me get in and out of them . FUN !! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom