Repairing old pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscm1

Wanted to know if anyone has ever bought used pens and torn them apart to turn a new body and used the old kit? Does that make since? I just want to tear one apart and use its guts with my own turned body parts. Can that be done and if so how? And also could you sell the pen and not get in trouble with the original manufacturer?[:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

To tear old kits down and reuse them to see what can be done is fun! The issue, in my mind, in reselling them is the fact that they are "old" parts. Who knows how long they have until failure and then what happens? How to you repair and/or replace these? I know new parts can fail as well but they are standardized and can be more easily replaced.

As for the issue regarding the original manufacturer - I don't think they would be too happy about it but how will they find out?

fiferb

Do a search for Wal-mart pens. Several people were taking apart pens and turning new bodies. They even posted instructions. Have fun!

tnilmerl

Fountian pens are usually your best bet. Challenge is getting the correct tap and dies to thread the old to new. Most old nibs are sac or bladder variety. Have to convert to cartridges or pump. It can be done, and makes a great pen when done well.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by dscm1
<br />where would you find tools to repair pens, and what would I need?

There is a place called The Fountain Pen Hospital I believe in New York. They have some excellent repair tools especially for fountain pens. Do a Google search and I'm certain you'll get a hit. Best tools for 'disassembly' of non-fountain pens is the HF(Harbor Freight) punch set which retails for under $10 bucks.

-Peter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom