Removing wax before casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

I have a large block (about 5 x 5 x 8) of a dark mystery wood. The whole thing is covered with wax, and there are lots of holes, and a bunch of gaps and stuff on the block, all covered with wax.

What is the best way to get in all of those gaps and cracks and get the wax out so the resin will properly adhere to the wood before turning?

I can snap a couple pictures of the black when I get home from work today if it helps.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrimsonKeel

Im thinking there is no way to really get it out of holes. In the past on blocks ive used hot boiling water to melt the wax and also card scrapers to scrape it off. Maybe a wax remover would work? acetone or something. Honestly im not sure if that would effect your wood or not.

Turned Around

That's the issue I'm running into. THought about all kinds of things, but always rethink the option due to it might mess up the wood. Boiling and scraping will get a good chunk of it out. Boil, let it drip dry, repeat.

ElMostro

That's the issue I'm running into. THought about all kinds of things, but always rethink the option due to it might mess up the wood. Boiling and scraping will get a good chunk of it out. Boil, let it drip dry, repeat.

Scrape and pick as much as you can off the block first. Use a dremel or similar tool to work the holes. If the holes are deep drill the holes out with a drill bit slightly larger than the wax pocket so you drill out some of the wood with the wax bec in some woods the wax will contaminate 1/16" to 1/8" below the surface. If the block has fairly straight sides cutting a sliver off the sides with the bandsaw may speed things up a bit. If you use the boil method make sure the water level is a couple of inches above the piece. The best way is to weigh the wood down bec in the hot water the wax will rise to the surface and you can skim it off before you pull the piece out. If you remove the piece through that layer of melted wax you are just going to get more wax on it.

Eugene.

Turned Around

Thanks guys. I think the best bet would be to do a variety of methods. Possibly carve everything our i can, then go to a heat gun. If there's still some left, I'll have to go to the boiling method. I'm not too worried about boiling it causing stress marks or cracks since the piece is already messed up enough. might just add more character to it.

low_48

Sounds like most of these techniques will either leave residue on the wood, or even drive it deeper in the grain. I've never cast anything, but wax in or on the wood sounds like mold release to me. Guess it won't cost you much to try. Good luck!

Turned Around

Problem is, do I cast it as a block under vacuum pressure, or do I turn is as much as I can and then cast it?

Both have pros and cons.

Turning it now ensures I get the most wax out of it, but then I waste more resin when pouring it back into the odd shape .

Cast now uses less resin, but there's no guarentee that I'll get all the wax out, leaving higher odds for trouble down the road.

Woodkiller

Put 4 stacks of 2 nickels on a cookie sheet and set the block on it. Slide it in the oven on 225 for bout 30 minutes and see if any wax is left in the block.

Turned Around

Here is the piece in question. I tried the baking method, didn't get all of it out. Seemed to melt most of it and evaporate it. There's still some left. So, on to the next method!

Side note: Looking at the side view of the color and grain work, seems like it might be Walnut?

Attachments

• IMG_20141016_172035.jpg
    IMG_20141016_172035.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20141016_172043.jpg
    IMG_20141016_172043.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20141016_172051.jpg
    IMG_20141016_172051.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20141016_172059.jpg
    IMG_20141016_172059.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 125

Turned Around

Yeah, the whole thing. And I'm not sure about a hallow form yet, never been very good at those. So maybe a tall vase made to fit a glass insert from Hobby Lobby or something like that.

Jim Burr

Banned
Kinda sux that you don't mention what you want to do with it...whole and cored...mill/stopper or pen blanks. Each option needs different stuff.

Top Bottom