remove dried epoxy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsulli16

hi all
Bob Sullivan from NJ, new to this, but I've been trying both CA and epoxy, had some failure while trimming the blanks with the mill using CA([plenty of dry time) so i glued up a bunch ahead of time (still on my 40 blanks that came with my PA starter kit) using epoxy. all good so far.
A little off the topic here, but one of you tell me how to dissolve dried epoxy from my insertion tube, if possible? Like using acetone on CA, I really don't want to scrape or sand it, i know i will ruin the tool. I already "skewed" my skew learning how to sharpen. :)
thanks
Sulli
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Heat will definitely soften the epoxy. About 5 min in a toaster oven at 150 ..remove the rubber thing on the end of the tool first! Pull it out with a glove and immediately wipe off with a rag. Don't see the need for a tool to install a tube with epoxy..just use a Popsicle stick to push in the tube and wipe off the excess and toss out the stick, you can get a hundred sticks for a buck, or just use some scrap wood in the shop. Takes out the hassle of it all.

rsulli16

epoxy

thanks guys,
I'll heat it up tonight. (BBQ tonight anyway, right next to my garage,,,err I mean my pen turning studio) the insertion tool came with the starter kits, so thats what I used :):):)

I did however split a shim from a pack of them I had laying around to make the glue applicators, just right, long pointed but enough flat on them to scoop up the epoxy to smear on the tubes, got about ten of them from one shim. never occurred to me to use it to shove the tube in after I smeared the epoxy on it :):):)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Sulli. I hope you're enjoying things so far. I've never used epoxy but sounds like good advise above.

Good start for a beginner outlining the some of the essential things to start off with – by Hank Lee: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41005

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

mick

Insertion Tool= Fingers and a toothpick. I don't want to use any of the above suggestion on my finger :biggrin:...the toothpick, I don't mind so much!
I do have an insertion tool and in the past I've just used my wire wheel on my grinder...gets it everytime. I also use the wire wheel to clean off the points of my dead and live centers after a CA finish gets out of hand. :biggrin:

Top Bottom