Reliable Pencil Kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philkessling

I was asked to make a matching pen and pencil set as an anniversary gift. It has been several years since I made a pencil kit. Back then, I made slimlines and "Parker" Flat Tops. I used them at work and they always broke. Are there any reliable kits available. Something that might match up with a Sierra?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

In our library I believe there is an article on how to convert a Sierra pen into a pencil. Can't remember what mechanism it uses though.

Russianwolf

The Sierra conversion uses a Schmidt mechanism and works great. Only draw-back is I haven't figured out how to put an eraser on it.

the conversion isn't hard, but try it on a cheaper plated kit or a damaged one to start. If you go to far on the nib, you can distort the plating on the outside.

DurocShark

I've done a few P&P kits for customers now. I'm not happy with even the Schmidt mechanisms. I've decided to do FP&RB kits instead, and maybe a matching Pentel if they insist on a pencil.

Haven't had it come up yet, so I may be all bluster. heh

txbob

I prefer the Pentel pencil, so I made a slimline pen to match. Used the longwood style, with the division of the top and bottom at the top edge of the top finger groove.
txbob

Attachments

• Pens1.jpg
    Pens1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 204

KenV

Sierra Click pencil works well and the error eliminator hides under the top push button if you look. The pencil is shorter than the click pen or standard pen (or shortened click that uses a straight parker refill) and shows the difference easily.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Another possiblity is the Perfect Fit kit from Berea. You make the kits by the standard directions, but replace the Parker refill with a Schmidt pencil mechanism. This does not require any alterations. As was pointed out, you don't have an eraser with this option.

Top Bottom