Reg Gold ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

Is the reg GOLD finish NOT the upgrade really as BAD as I here and will just wear off in a few days or weeks ???? I do NOT need my cust getting mad because the gold is wore off after JUST a few days or weeks !???[?][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Guy, if you are going to sell pens, get Titanium-Gold platings. It is my experience that the Upgrade Gold from Berea or the 10K Gold from CSUSA will wear off within weeks to months, and I can imagine that the reg gold is gone faster. Do a search here on platings and you will find an abundance of information.
Generally speaking Titanium Gold and Black Titanium as well as Chromium, Platinum and Rhodium platings are considered lasting forever. I think that satin nickel is also a good coating; I use a Satin Nickel pen now for about 8 month and I do not see any wear.

mrcook4570

Once you explain the difference to the customer, they are more than willing to pay extra for the durability of the titanium and platinum finishes

leehljp

Member Liaison
I started with slimlines just over a year ago - PSI mostly. I kept my first one until I lost it last month on a hike in a forested area. I used it dailey; kept it in my pants pocket with change often. The CA finish had some minor scratches all over it as did some of the gold. But in a year, the gold nib, clip or centerband NEVER did show any wear, except for some minor scratches that will happen to pure gold too in that situation.

Did I happen to get an unusual set of gold plating? A few have mentioned the wearing of the gold. But I didn't expereince that. What am I missing here or what should I be looking for? I realize that "wear" is a relative thing to different eyes, but I do graphics often, and noticing minute differences in colors and shades is part of what I do for others at times. I just have not seen that "wearing off" even on the cheap pens even in rough conditions.

loglugger

I will have to agree with Hank on this. I have well over 20 PSI slimlines (the cheap gold) that I have give to friends and family, some over 2 years that have yet to show mutch wear.
Bob

woodbutcher

My advice would be to spend a coupe extra dollars for titanium. I have never heard of problems with that. My first few pens were 24ct and after a few mos were showing signs of failure. They now are pretty much chrome. My wife loves it but she didn't spend any money for it either. I will also add that some of the 24ct seems to wear a little better than others but I have no way of knowing for a few mos which is which.
Jim

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />&lt;snip&gt; My first few pens were 24ct and after a few mos were showing signs of failure. &lt;Snip&gt;. I will also add that some of the 24ct seems to wear a little better than others but I have no way of knowing for a few mos which is which.
Jim

Jim, Could you or maybe someone else elaborate or give a picture of how and where the gold or chrome is wearing. This would help me / us to know what to look for.

Thanks

Pipes

WEll since I DO NOT Need the added crapola that comes with selling crapola !!! I am going to return the Reg gold kits I got from Berea and upgrade them all to titanium gold ...I HOPE there is not a problem with them on the exchange ! since Iam not returning but exchanging them for a up grade in quality and price ![^]

Randy_

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />.....Did I happen to get an unusual set of gold plating? A few have mentioned the wearing of the gold. But I didn't expereince that. What am I missing here or what should I be looking for? I realize that "wear" is a relative thing to different eyes, but I do graphics often, and noticing minute differences in colors and shades is part of what I do for others at times. I just have not seen that "wearing off" even on the cheap pens even in rough conditions.

If you read the PSI catalog very carefully, you will see that the 24k hardware is coated with an epoxy covering to protet the plating. They warrant the plating for life; but I suspect that is a sales ploy. I doubt that very many people even make claims against the warranty because it is not worth the time to mess with it for a $2 kit.

There are two components to wear issue. One is strictly an abrasion issur and the other is a chemistry issue. Several years ago, an IAP member set up a little wear test to test the various 24k platings and as I remember it, they were all about the same and not very durable. He rigged up a deal so that the pens could be repeatedly touched to a rotating pad of cloth to simulate wear from abrasion in a shirt or jacket pocket and counted the number of "touches" before noticable wear could be detected.

Some people sweat more than others and the chemistry of body oils varies among individuals. Gold is a reasonably non-reactive material; but if you scratch the gold and the body chemicals can react with the base metal, then you have the potential for deterioration of the plating. Some folks have reported good results using the inexpensive 24k plating. Others have had it wear out in a short time. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Personally, I would rather spend a few extra bucks on the platings known to be durable rather than save a few bucks and risk having an unhappy customer return a pen they felt was of inferior quality.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Randy. I appreciate this answer and I can understand it. One of my daughters cannot wear steel or gold plated watches / jewelry. Too much interaction.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom