Reel seats

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jedgerton

jedgerton

Does anyone here turn reel seats? I've gotten a request to turn a reel seat out of antler. The example I was given to duplicate looks like a cylindrical form with a step but the part I haven't figured out is the actual surface where the reel sits. It looks like it has a bigger radius than the main body.

I'm probably not describing it too well but if someone has experience with these I would appreciate the help.

John

Muddler

I have built a number of custom rods, and you are correct the actual reel seat has a larger diameter then the barrel. When crafting a seat, turn the barrel then use a fingernail router bit to create the center section for the reel seat. If you will turn the barrel from a square blank, and leave a square section on each end of the barrel, you can lay the "flats" on a router table and using the fingernail bit machine the center section to match the inside radius of the reel's seat. There are some "Minima" reel seats by Fuji (i think) that you could use to attach the reel to the rod and use blank you create as a spacer in the center. Hope this helps.

Tr this link for additional info:

http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

Bill Bauer

Jim Smith

I have also built a number of custom fly rods. In fact that was the original reason I purchased the lathe. I sugguest that you may want to go to rodbuilding.org and see if there are any folks there that can give you any additional guidance. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Top Bottom