Redwood Wine Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

I picked up this blank from a local salvage yard. It was charred back on one side (preserved a bit on the rim) and the lady gave me a good deal on it. I sat under my bench for almost a year before I decided to tackle it.

When I cut into the blank smelled strongly of wine. After looking at the growth rings I knew instantly what it was. The vineyards here used Redwood in the construction of their larger capacity wine barrels. The vineyards have been moving to Stainless Steel tanks for years, and as such I guess this blank is 50 - 100 years old depending on the vineyard it came from.

I left it intentionally large at the base to preserve as much of the wine soaked side as possible (the dark line) and even through the danish oil it has a strong smell of wine.

Wine04-1.jpg

Wine01-1.jpg

Wine05.jpg

Wine03.jpg

Compliments & Criticisms welcome and appreciated as always.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

A beer tap and and now a wine bowl.....by chance are you feeling stressed out Peter?:tongue: And who drinks wine from a bowl anyways?:eek:
All kidding aside, that's a great looking bowl.

Rick P

Before the advent of pewter most of humanity drank from wine bowls........now it's limited to a few medieval reenactment buffs. I was actually expecting to see a plain little bowl.

Soaking in wine definitely did not hurt that piece of redwood! Well turned and lovely to look at, well done peter. Wood with some history behind it is always interesting

robutacion

I sure like to see this kind of work...!

The bowl's design simplicity, matches perfectly the story that goes with that piece of wood and when it comes to "bits of wood/timber" with a "pass", I'm a true sucker for it...!

I can also see that, you may be a little bored at making pens or you just decided to have a break from them, either way, you're doing OK...!

Cheers
George

kludge77

I sure like to see this kind of work...!

The bowl's design simplicity, matches perfectly the story that goes with that piece of wood and when it comes to "bits of wood/timber" with a "pass", I'm a true sucker for it...!

I can also see that, you may be a little bored at making pens or you just decided to have a break from them, either way, you're doing OK...!

Cheers
George

Thanks!

Yeah it's a rough bowl that totally shows her years! :)

As for the pens, I'm still turning them but mostly slimlines and so I don't post them very often. :)

Top Bottom