Redwood Burl Yarn Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gingerwood

gingerwood

I turned the bowl normally, then drilled the hole for the yarn to feed through and cut down to it with a Japanese draw saw. Then sanded and finished with 6 coats of Woodturner's finish and a coat of wax (outside only).

My only problem is that it came loose and cracked a bit while I was sanding it. I applied thin CA to the crack, which worked fine, except that the finish is darker and clearly visible where the CA ran :(

Most yarn bowls are ceramic, and have a curly Q where I have a straight slot and hole. Anyone have any ideas on how to cut a swirl or at least a J into something like this, preferably with a hand saw?

Mickie

Attachments

• Yarn Bowl 1.jpg
    Yarn Bowl 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 420
  • Yarn Bowl 2.jpg
    Yarn Bowl 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I turned the bowl normally, then drilled the hole for the yarn to feed through and cut down to it with a Japanese draw saw. Then sanded and finished with 6 coats of Woodturner's finish and a coat of wax (outside only).

My only problem is that it came loose and cracked a bit while I was sanding it. I applied thin CA to the crack, which worked fine, except that the finish is darker and clearly visible where the CA ran :(

Most yarn bowls are ceramic, and have a curly Q where I have a straight slot and hole. Anyone have any ideas on how to cut a swirl or at least a J into something like this, preferably with a hand saw?

Mickie

G'day Mickie,

Well, I don't thing a hand saw can help you there, a CNC machine would do it easily but the setting up would be costly, only for a single piece so, the way I would do it is to draw what I want cut and then use a Dremel tool with a small touter bit, to slowly and gently cut through the wood, a little patience can go a long way...!

Good luck,

PS: I reckon that you done a very good job, so far...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Alzey

Great looking bowl.

Another option would be to make the bottom of the J more V shaped than U shaped. Then you could drill a couple of small holes and use a coping saw or hack saw. No curves required.

KenV

Ginger -- I had best luck with scroll saw blades (fine toothed blades) in a coping style saw. Most coping saw blades have pen ends and coarse teeth. I ended with a Knew Saw -- has a "truss" style frame and holds plain end scroll saw blades.

Frett saw works for smaller bowls, but needed more open depth and the Knew saw frame combined the open depth and fine toothed blades.

And yup -- tried to do it with my scroll saw without the success I was looking for, and had fair luck with a small Japanese style key hole saw, but lots of cleanup by hand.

Top Bottom