Redheart Maple Seg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I know most of you guys have done these but I was really happy to see it actually turned out. Still a slight problem with everything lining up but I'll keep working on it. My friends, family and co workers all think it looks great, but then again, they've never seen this web site! Guess I'll have to keep them in the dark a little longer.
200825112455_Seg%20Red%20heart%20Maple.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, Very nice job,you done very well for just your 1st few,i think your style is perfect i like a little contour to a pen,if you make em straight you may as well go out and buy a 99 cent pen.. Carl

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by fernhills

Hi, Very nice job,you done very well for just your 1st few,i think your style is perfect i like a little contour to a pen,if you make em straight you may as well go out and buy a 99 cent pen.. Carl

Carl, it seems you took my comment as disrespectful to John's work. From my experience, many of us started out with a lot of contour to our pens since it seemed a shame to turn away such beautiful wood. However, when you leave contours such that the clip is non-functional, the pen is out of balance in my opinion. That is all I expressed. If all this forum is to be is the Nice Pen Good Job forum, it is worth little.

John, I like your work. Your segmenting is very good and you should be justifiably proud of it. In my opinion, and mine only, the pen is overcountoured and would be improved by lesser contours. Straight pens are not 99 cent pens whatever someone may choose to say. People who choose to say that are entitled to their opinion, just as I was entitled to mine.

GaryMGg

Hi,
My guess is you didn't post the pic just to hear NPGJ! ;)
Very nice work on the segmentation. There are lots of experienced folks here who haven't done any segmentation yet. You've found the fun in it, that's great. :D[8D]
In my opinion, the upper half would look better if turned to a smaller diameter.
The photo makes the upper barrel appear larger than the lower and it looks as if the clip is bottomed out.
Good workmanship but something to consider.

fernhills

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Originally posted by fernhills

Carl, it seems you took my comment as disrespectful to John's work. From my experience, many of us started out with a lot of contour to our pens since it seemed a shame to turn away such beautiful wood. However, when you leave contours such that the clip is non-functional, the pen is out of balance in my opinion. That is all I expressed. If all this forum is to be is the Nice Pen Good Job forum, it is worth little.

John, I like your work. Your segmenting is very good and you should be justifiably proud of it. In my opinion, and mine only, the pen is overcountoured and would be improved by lesser contours. Straight pens are not 99 cent pens whatever someone may choose to say. People who choose to say that are entitled to their opinion, just as I was entitled to mine.
Cav.I must apoligize, i did not mean to under cut your post what so ever..it certainly was not my intent,It is just that i don`t like b2b slimlines.Other pens yes slimlines no,but thats just me.. Regards Carl

7miles

Despite what others may think, I think your pen looks great. I was to busy looking at the segmentation and the fine job you done with it.

Can't please them all. So do what you like, not others. Unless you are being paid;);)

doddman70

The sementation looks great pretty impresive for your first few!! i would agree i think the upper barrel is a little to large. but other than that very nice job:D:)[8D]

VisExp

The combination of those woods is great. They really work well together. That is something I really struggle with, looking at a couple of blanks in their unfinished form and trying to decide what woods will work together.

rdunn12

I agree with what some of the others said,the segmentation looks great,but a little fat for me also.Just my opinion,you may like a bigger pen than I do.

JohnU

I apreciate all the feedback and actually agree that it is a little thick. I made the first few pens a little to thin and thought I left out the creative part of making them so I tried again and left it a little thick. My wife favors thicker pens so she kept it. I started out making slimlines because they are about the cheapest ($) to make and I didnt have much cash built up in this. Ive made a little $ and used it to buy some exotic woods and just started getting some new kit styles, but I must admitt Im still having a little trouble paying the price of some of these kits! I finally have the wifes approval as long as she keeps getting pens. thanks all! Im here for the productive critique and appreciate all feedback.

Top Bottom