Red Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I got a commission to make a piece with the wood and form of my choosing. Since I'm too cheap to buy a burl cap like this with my own money, I bought one with someone else's money!:biggrin:

This is red mallee burl finished with shellac, BLO, and ren wax. It's about 17.5 x 14 x 3 inches.

This wood is very hard and dusty, and it scrapes better than it cuts. If I didn't have my Woodchuck Bowl Pro, I'd still be hacking away at this thing.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

red-mallee-bowl-1.jpgred-mallee-bowl-2.jpgred-mallee-bowl-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Very nicely done. I have not tried turning these sort of burl caps, but every time I visit Bad Dog Burls I get the temptation.

robutacion

Wow David...!

You like a challenge do you...???:wink:

I hope that you didn't loose any bits of skin from your hands nor got your harms sleeves caught on that mad serrated spinning spikes...!:eek:

The execution is brilliant, and the effects are worth while, no doubt...!

Well done mate, and find yourself your own burl cap, they aren't that expensive (if you have plenty of money...!) :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

hewunch

Beautiful! But I hate to think how many pen blanks gave up their lives to make such a work of art.

ohiococonut

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

I'd be terrified to turn something like that. It looks to much like a saw blade. Hell, I was terrified the first time I turned a small 3" maple bowl :redface:

David Keller

Beautiful! But I hate to think how many pen blanks gave up their lives to make such a work of art.

That's funny... I actually had the same thought several times while I was turning it. Maybe I'll call the piece 'Hundreds of Dead Pen Blanks'.:biggrin:

wizard

David, All I can say is WOW! That is a absolutely gorgeous piece of wood and you created a beautiful piece of art with it! Those pen blanks gladly gave up their lives for this creation.

David Keller

Excellent turning. Don't you use a bowl saver when working on pieces of this size?

I wish I had one, Fred. I can't imagine that this stuff would be too fun to core, but it would have been nice to save a chunk from the center. A coring setup is on the wishlist, but I just haven't made it that far down the list yet.

Top Bottom