Red mallee burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I bought a few small Aussie burls from somebody here last year some time, and I finally got around to turning one. As I was turning, I thought, "Why not try to turn a little miniature HF in the middle of this thing?"

This is red mallee burl. It's about 6" tall and 6" wide. The pedestal is ebonized holly(also purchased from an IAP member). I did a little pyro around the opening of the HF to tie the pedestal and the HF together. At this point, it's got one coat of thin shellac and a coat of WOP.

As always, comments and criticism appreciated.
red-mallee-pedestal-1.jpg
red-mallee-pedestal-2.jpg
red-mallee-pedestal-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Wow - that is really different. But it is absolutely spectacular ... never seen one done like it before and can't even imagine where you would start on a piece like that. It is beautiful - nice work!

David Keller

Thanks for the comments.

...what is it used for and is it top heavy?

It's surprisingly stable given the small pedestal... The top is fairly symmetric which helps considerably. As for its use, it's a decorative dust collector... You set it anywhere in the house, and it will collect dust!:biggrin:

ctubbs

OOOOOOOOOOHHHH! AAAAAAAAAAAHH! WOW! What a wonderful mind and talented hands you have. Congratulations on being able to produce such beauty.
Charles

SDB777

Uhhhh..........speechless!

How long does it take to make a piece like this? A day? A week? Change of the calender.....

Scott (amazing) B

65GTMustang

David,
Nice piece - I have a lot of Mallee and enjoy making winged vessels, lidded bowls etc...I have several pieces posted in my album of Mallee turnings.

Would you mind sharing your finish technique?
What product you use and its application.
Thanks

David Keller

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Uhhhh..........speechless!

How long does it take to make a piece like this? A day? A week? Change of the calender.....

Scott (amazing) B

This one took about 4 or 5 hours to turn and put on the first coat of finish.

David,
Nice piece - I have a lot of Mallee and enjoy making winged vessels, lidded bowls etc...I have several pieces posted in my album of Mallee turnings.

Would you mind sharing your finish technique?
What product you use and its application.
Thanks

I'm headed to your album now. As for the finish, it's pretty simple. I sand to 800 then apply a coat of thin shellac. I use the ultra blonde dewaxed flakes from shellac.net and mix it myself... about 70% DNA to 30% flakes by volume. I follow that with Minwax gloss WOP. In the photo, I've got one coat on, but it'll get a few more before I call it done.

65GTMustang

Thanks,
I was just going through my photos also - I thought I had several pieces pictured, I was mistaken - Only one of my Mallee turnings is listed. I need to get the others uploaded.
I actually made a desk stand for a 30-6 snake bullet pen today - It is supported by two deer antler points - It is a long design that also had a place to hold business cards - I will post this piece in a few days.

Top Bottom