Red Malle Burl Desk Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bear_Knuckle_Turner

Well folks, here it is. My first desk set. It started as a whole Red Malle Burl cap from Nolan. It's inspired by James Mann's work seen in his "Behind the Lathe" article. It's going to be shipped out to Kallenshan soon to have a logo and name engraved on it. It's a Christmas gift for my Sister-in-Law. Finish is 4 coats of satin poly on the stand and BLO/CA topped with TSW on the Ultra Cigar pens.

Sorry about the pics and I suppose this goes in this forum rather than the other stuff we make forum, as it has pens in it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Red Malle Burl desk set.jpg
    Red Malle Burl desk set.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Red Malle Burl desk set 2.JPG
    Red Malle Burl desk set 2.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Red Malle Burl desk set 3.JPG
    Red Malle Burl desk set 3.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Robert, That's fantastic. I bet she'll love it!
BTW today was my last day at work. We'll be in Decatur a lot more now since I'm retired. We need to get together one weekend and kick off the Alabama chapter of IAP!

Jim15

Beautiful, I'm sure she will love it. Did you just saw a section of the bottom flat and add some felt or something to keep the bottom causing harm to the furniture?

Beautiful, I'm sure she will love it. Did you just saw a section of the bottom flat and add some felt or something to keep the bottom causing harm to the furniture?

That's correct, Jim. I thought about adding some sort of decorative feet, but I felt just leaving it as it was kept the attention on the natural beauty of the burl.

Robert, That's fantastic. I bet she'll love it!
BTW today was my last day at work. We'll be in Decatur a lot more now since I'm retired. We need to get together one weekend and kick off the Alabama chapter of IAP!

Sounds like fun! We'll have to figure out a time to get together. I work with several guys that would be interested.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That must have been so difficult to make the desk set .. I mean..
.. just looking at that base .. I can see another 10-12 pens worth of wood..
:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Looks nice! :biggrin:

L1Truckie

It looks like the cornering of your router job is about 1/32" off Robert. Although Im sure youve already corrected that after the picture was taken. HAHA, only kidding.

Beautiful job Robert, Looks great. She will be pleased. Give BB and KJ a big hello from me. Also, when is Fainer getting into this?

Hard to make out much of the detail in the pens but from what I can see they look great. Also, that is a super slab of Red Mallee they're stuck in. I would've had a hard time not cutting it into blanks.

Top Bottom