C & C welcome!

Attachments

• red-orange heart.jpg
    red-orange heart.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 458
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Very nicely done.

On the C&C request, I think you're getting very close on getting those segments lined up as noted in your other post. Only a minor variation seen in the picture which is great progress given the number of cuts involved. Keep up the good work!

From a personal design perspective, now that the center band has been omitted, the next step to really put this pen over the top would be to omit the metal finial and make it a closed end with a hidden clip. My opinion is that change would really round out this pen nicely.

Keep it up, looking good.

Krash

Very nicely done.

On the C&C request, I think you're getting very close on getting those segments lined up as noted in your other post. Only a minor variation seen in the picture which is great progress given the number of cuts involved. Keep up the good work!

From a personal design perspective, now that the center band has been omitted, the next step to really put this pen over the top would be to omit the metal finial and make it a closed end with a hidden clip. My opinion is that change would really round out this pen nicely.

Keep it up, looking good.

I really ... really ... did I say really? .... want to try closed end pens. If you have a good process that works for you, I would love to learn!

Carl Fisher

Penn State has a 7mm mandrel that would work for that style pen. Anything larger and you can get closed end mandrels from Rick Herrell to do the job. These mandrels will grip the inside of the tube without having to drill all the way through the blank.

You would use your live center in the tail stock to steady everything until you are about at finished diameter. Then remove the tail stock and round off the closed end. Once you do it once or twice, it gets really straight forward.

Krash

Really nice, I will print the picture and place by my lathe for inspiration and motivation!!

Honored!

But, as many that segment multiple woods know, these pens usually come in pairs with each the reverse from the other. The sister pen that gave up her orange heart for the red heart shown is a bit of a mess. All of the bad cuts seemed to end up on that blank. All that to say that I need inspiration and practice also!

Top Bottom