Red Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phunky_2003

Phunky_2003

Here is a red dragon pen I just finished up. One of my first casting attempts about a month ago I never got around to turning. I had to do some epoxy filling for bubbles but I think it turned out good. While I was filling the bubble holes I decided to put 2 grooves in the lower to make it look more like a matched set.

James
1_Dragon_Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

The dragon looks awesome! And I understand why you needed to make the cap so fat. So in the future, you might want to think about a way to either use a larger kit like a Gentleman or make the dragon smaller. But really, it is great looking!

Phunky_2003

Yep I agree also. I dont have many of the larger kits. I have 2 JR gent kits on hand. But didnt want to use one of those on what I am practicing on. I am going to attempt to do both... Use a bigger kit and reduce the size of the dragon. I learned quite a bit with this attempt hopefully I will make more strides on the next one.

James

Phunky_2003

Jeff,

I also have always liked the work you've done...from penblanks to scrolling to intarsia. After doing this I have a new found respect for what you do too. This is time consuming and delicate work.

James

workinforwood

Jeff,

I also have always liked the work you've done...from penblanks to scrolling to intarsia. After doing this I have a new found respect for what you do too. This is time consuming and delicate work.

James

Now you know why it's $30 to buy a blank, and that is quite a great deal! That dragon would have probably looked really good on an El grande/churchill pen kit. Besides....the kit you chose, I had so many problems with the quality, I bailed fast. I've changed the nib section 3 times on this one guys pen because the plastic broke, and he doesn't have a drop of gold left on that kit, it is completely nickel now. He does use his pen alot, but also the pen never leaves his desk. The wear is all basically from his fingers. But the blank itself still looks almost new!

lundebc

Incredible work! I would like to know how you go about doing this - you mentioned casting, but the body is wood? Can you shed a bit of light on the technique?

Bruce
Katy, Tx

Top Bottom