Recycle or madness...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Sometimes I do things that were never planned or even expected so, when a situation occurs, the very first thing that come to mind is, can I do anything with it or, can I cast it into pen blanks...???

Thanks goodness for casting resin, it can be messy, smelly and even damage your health but, its use is handless...!

I'm not even considering asking the question of what I have cast or, what in the hell is that dark blue stuff cast with lighter colour Polyester resin.

Is it turn-able...??? well, I turned the 2 samples from the 1 mold of each (6 blanks per mold) and I did OK however, that dark blue stuff may be a "challenge" to handle, for less experience turners...!

There are a couple or so members on IAP that know what it is or, have seen these samples so, if you are one of them, ZIP IT...!:biggrin:

I have a lot more of this dark blue stuff, a gallon full to be exact (well, was full when I started...!:wink:), the effects are all created by then dark blue stuff, the only thing I done was to pour the coloured resin into the molds, nature does strange things, and I just go with the flow, sort of speak...!

Sure, if you can tell me what that blue stuff is, you can have them both plus a couple of other solid wood blanks of my choice however, I don't think that anyone will get this one right, its just too unusual so, I will content to know of what you thing of these samples as potential pen blanks...!:)

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Krudwig

That stuff you put in a toilet bowl that makes the water blue? Just an off the wall guess but the blanks are cool looking.

Buzzzz4

It seems like an oil of some sort. Whatever it is, I really want the blue and yellow for my love of University of Michigan.

Pitoon

i'm really digging that blue and yellow blank!!!! i wish i had seen that one before i would have PM'ed you about it.

as far as the blue stuff goes....my guess would be a sponge (possibly a natural one) that has been stabalized with some sort of resin with blue dye added for coloring. then you added the second color under vacuum to fill in the voids?

so did i win or not????

robutacion

It is, DARK BLUE STUFF!!! YEA, I WIN!!! (You told us in the post)

Yes I did, didn't I...???:wink::biggrin:

Wow...! some very interesting answers, indeed, I may need more clarification on some answers...!:wink:

Now, on both blanks, you can see some small round areas (bubbles type) that have a lighter blue colour and that produce a quite interesting effect, that is not "natural" unless you want it to be so, what cause it and how did I do that...???:cool::)

Buzzzz4
Well if you provide the correct answer, you get one of each otherwise, and because we are now in my Vendors Forum "space", I can talk about sales until the cows come home so, I have already mentioned that I made 6 of each, I'm yet to sand and coat the other blanks, as I'm not sure if I should make more to use all that dark blue stuff I've got, I've used 1/4 of it to make these 12 blanks + the resin off-course, I just received a new 20lt drum of resin this morning so, I can do more...!

Sure, as any other blanks I make, hard to handle or not, I always look forwards to see them dressing a pen kit so, I can still make another 30 or so...!

I've cut the rest down this afternoon and got 4 molds in the pressure pot, 2 molds olds 6 blanks the other 2 hold 7 blanks, I made a violet, red Russet, Sky-Blue and orange, we see how they turn up in the morning...!

I'm kinda thinking, AU$25.00 including shipping anywhere for a pack of 3 blanks (250gr. padded envelope), they are very heavy, and 4 blanks square corners removed or not, still far too much above the weight limit.

Sure, I may be able to fit 7 in a 500gr. padded envelop, for AU$47.00 with the square corners off, I reckon...!:)

I will not take any orders until the other 4 colours are done and shown here however, you put your expression on interest in here, those will be the first to be served...!:wink:

PS: Sorry folks, no correct answer yet however, one has potential but I need more info/detail...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

toddlajoie

PS: Sorry folks, no correct answer yet however, one has potential but I need more info/detail...!

I've got more info-detail on this potential answer...

It's Awful Darn Pretty Dark Blue Stuff!!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously tho I have no idea about the details, but from the looks of the patterning, I would say that the oil idea would make sense to me.

robutacion

I've got more info-detail on this potential answer...

It's Awful Darn Pretty Dark Blue Stuff!!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously tho I have no idea about the details, but from the looks of the patterning, I would say that the oil idea would make sense to me.

Absolutely...!

Do you know how hard I worked to obtain this same dark blue for some work I was attempting to do...??? I did actually rant on IAP about that difficulty, I never achieve it and now, out of the blue, or a should say heat, it just came to me, in a gallon full...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

Gofer

George,

If your not careful you are going to end up like one of the mad scientists on the saturday morning cartoons. ;-) But at least we will all have fun and have soome amazing blanks before that happens.

Bruce

robutacion

George,

If your not careful you are going to end up like one of the mad scientists on the saturday morning cartoons. ;-) But at least we will all have fun and have soome amazing blanks before that happens.

Bruce

Well, you may the right but, I will certainly leave behind a "legacy", of unless you try it, you will never know. Not everything works but, the enthusiasm experienced in the process, is the right fuel for my warned engine...!:wink:

I keep saying, just look around, you may not find a lot of cash laying around but, you will find lots of stuff that can be mixed with some resin.

The problem is never the mixing, is the courage and skill that will be require to tackle some of the monsters created, that will count in the end...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

I am thinking it is some automotive product like transmission fluid or
power steering fluid. Maybe hydraulic oil.

Humm, OK I just would like to know, how am I suppose to transform those liquids into solids, knowing that, I may will want to try...!

Remember, nothing is impossible, only certain things require a greater degree of difficulty...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

I'm not surprised with the difficulty experienced, trying to work out what it is, and while a couple of answer are on the right track, they answers are not enough.

I got out of the pressure pot this morning, 4 more molds made with this same material, and may be the end of it as some parts, I didn't think good enough to use so, there should be about 36 blanks in total.

The 4 new colours look quite good, I will know for sure when I get them sanded down and sprayed with gloss varnish...!

There is one hint that I can give and that has to do with life expectancy of certain things, particularly in hot temps, not always happen but sometimes, it happens and we normally tend to react by using vocabulary that don't exist in any dictionaries, that I know off...!:eek::wink::)

Enough said...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Camon guys and gals, I know that you are all busy with the Bash event but, take a minute to get a "giggle" and throw me some ideas, well... clues to what you think it is, for me, I see it as a great opportunity to get hints of things I may try and that I haven't thought about, yet...!

Those 2 guys that are very warm with their answers, could think a little deeper and make the connection, I would like to see it guessed...!

OK so, this "thing" is reasonably recent to the general public, I reckon 50% of IAP members are using it, and what happened to me, has actually been discussed here quite often...!:rolleyes::)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom