Recovery Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I have a question that is sort of pen related. In about three weeks I am going in for a hip replacement. I have invested in casting equipment and have recently purchased a 40 watt laser. My intention is to supply penmakers with needed services. I guess the real question is if any of you have had this surgery, how long are you laid up for recovery? I expect down time but how long before you can function? Not necessarily pain free but functional.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Craig,

My mom (age 79) just had hip replacement 6 weeks ago. Surgery took less than an hour, she was up walking in 3 hours!
Naturally taking it easy the first week, but every hour, walk for 5 minutes. After 1 week, she was out and about, occasionally using a cane just for security.
You will be tired the first week or two while your body gets used to the new hip. But other than that, you should be able to function fairly normal in a couple of weeks. Work when you feel up to it, rest when you get tired.

Good luck!

Craig,
My wife had hip replacement in 2008... she was in surgery by 0700 and out in time to watch President Obama's inauguration... she was in the hospital 3 or 4 days, then home for a week before she was able to get up and around freely... stitches out after 8 days at home. She's a little on the heavy side, is diabetic and has heart fibulations, so her recovery may have been a little slower... she's never had a moment's trouble with the hip... she's had other problems since, not related to the hip though.

My step-father was 95 when his right hip was done... he was up and walking a day later and actually went home from the hospital a day earlier then his 60 year old son who had surgery the same day. To my knowledge he never had a moments trouble with the hip.... three years earlier, he had his left hip replaced and was home in about 3 days... after sitting around for a week to 10 days he was fussing about not being able to see about his cows, so my 85 year old mother drove his truck around the farm so they could check his cows (his herd was about 350 head)... she wound up sticking the truck in a hole in one of the pastures... after sitting in the truck for a bit, he climbed out, walked about 1/2 mile back to the barn, climbed up on his big ol' John Deere and went to pull mom out... he never sat down again... he farmed 500 acres with the 350 head of cattle.

One thing to watch, they will give you a machine to help with your breathing to prevent pneumonia... USE IT RELIGIOUSLY.... my wife did and no pneumonia, my step father didn't and he wound up with pneumonia.... and after my umbilical hernia surgery, I was not so mindful of the exercise and I also wound up with Pneumonia... that could be worse than the surgery.

Take care, good luck and listen to all the medico's .

Last edited:

Jgrden

I cannot answer the down time question but I can say that my sistern-in-law had both hops replaced and she teaches square dancing. That has got to be a challenge.
I was born in Jamestown, NY and grew up in Clymer. Are yo any where near?

nava1uni

I am an RN and most patients walk the same day. If you do you PT as prescribed and really do as you are instructed you should have a good recovery. In my experience hip replacement is easier then knee replacement

PSU1980

I had my first hip replaced in 2000 and the other hip replaced in 2005.

Recovery time for the first hip was longer than the recovery for the second hip. LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR AND MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE THE PRESCRIBED PHYSCIAL THERAPY. I was back to half days at work two weeks after the second replacement.

Top Bottom