Recent PC pens with Photo copy transfers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbmauser

Here are some recent slimline PC pens. Two are first time experiments that took a few runs at it with results. I wanted to make a pencil with music. The procedure is to photocopy what you want to scale after first reversing the image. (This occurred to me at the last minute) once the PC is wrapped tightly the blank (tube) is held under cool running water and with soft finger persuasion the paper is dissolved and washed away leaving the photo copy ink behind. Bake and assemble. A coat of wipe on urethane gives it a light golden tone I wanted a aged paper look. The black pen bottom is turned Corian the thin brass center band was turned on my small metal lathe. The pencil is for a Music Director and the other is for a lifelong Thespian. Also getting further into making canes, PC can be somewhat addictive. The one wood pen that slipped into the mix is an Australian Cypress from a free wood floor sample from Home Depot. Love those little free Squares. I hope they are not listening 8*)..... JB

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 585
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 533
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 445
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 455
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Very nice pens Sir! I think I would like to try that transfer thing myself one day.If I was to decide to do it would you be kind enough to give me some pointers?
Thanks!
JIM

jbmauser

Not a problem, be happy to help. I can tell you 3 maybe 4 ways not to do it and one that seemed to yield a decent result. The interesting thing about the music pens is that you feel the music lines in you fingers. I thought this was a major flaw but as my test group (all women) picked up the pen after a moment they all smiled as they felt the lines raised just a bit. They liked the feel and all smiled. Guy brain vs. Gal brain I guess and since it is going to a Gal it is good to go. I was ready to strip the tube and start again. One woman who "tested" the feel has put in an order for one for her music teacher. JB

DaveConrad

Great idea

You really have your thinking cap on. The pens look great and what a wonderful idea. I recently bought some water slide transfer paper from Ebay but I haven't tried transferring images to my pens yet. I have seen some beautiful stuff done that way.

Thanks for sharing

Here are some recent slimline PC pens. Two are first time experiments that took a few runs at it with results. I wanted to make a pencil with music. The procedure is to photocopy what you want to scale after first reversing the image. (This occurred to me at the last minute) once the PC is wrapped tightly the blank (tube) is held under cool running water and with soft finger persuasion the paper is dissolved and washed away leaving the photo copy ink behind. Bake and assemble. A coat of wipe on urethane gives it a light golden tone I wanted a aged paper look. The black pen bottom is turned Corian the thin brass center band was turned on my small metal lathe. The pencil is for a Music Director and the other is for a lifelong Thespian. Also getting further into making canes, PC can be somewhat addictive. The one wood pen that slipped into the mix is an Australian Cypress from a free wood floor sample from Home Depot. Love those little free Squares. I hope they are not listening 8*)..... JB

Top Bottom