Recent Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EBorraga

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
A few month's ago I decided to try my hand at knife making. This is the first knife I did. It started as a piece of 1095 steel and I ground the shape and made the handle. The handle is just some Walnut I had laying around. I had a local guy heat treat it for me.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Awesome for a first one! Looks better than mine. Your blade grind is very nice. What do you have for a belt grinder? I'd hoped to get a forge running this summer, but that didn't happen--one of these days. I've got a bunch of .25 1084 and some .125 1080 that I've been itching to do something with. Just got to get a forge running for the heat treat. Oh, and I need a better belt grinder, or at least to mod my 2x42 for variable speed--it runs way too fast for good control.

Regards,
Michael

PS The bolster look nice, too. Did you pin it?

Last edited:

Houtkop

Another first knife

Very nice looking knife. Love the Walnut handle.

A few weeks ago my nephew asked me to make him a knife. I told him I have never made a knife in my life, but he did not seem to think it would be a problem for me. So thanks to Utube, I built a gas forge, forged a blade out of a leaf spring, and put some file work on the edge and made a sheath. My handle is made from a Panga Panga and Jacaranda laminate.

Takes a lot more time than turning pens!

Attachments

• IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 137

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Awesome for a first one! Looks better than mine. Your blade grind is very nice. What do you have for a belt grinder? I'd hoped to get a forge running this summer, but that didn't happen--one of these days. I've got a bunch of .25 1084 and some .125 1080 that I've been itching to do something with. Just got to get a forge running for the heat treat. Oh, and I need a better belt grinder, or at least to mod my 2x42 for variable speed--it runs way too fast for good control.

Regards,
Michael

PS The bolster look nice, too. Did you pin it?

I did pin the bolster. I have a simple 1x30 harbor freight sander. I'm thinking about building a 2x72, but want to make a few knives first. I spending the week with a blacksmith in Northern Michigan. Going to spend some time making knives. I'm also meeting up with Tim Zowada. Should be an awesome trip.

Top Bottom