Reamers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyGreasy

Do you guys use reamers. I have had some issues with pressing the transmissions into tubes. I have been using a diamond file to clear the tube but sometimes its still a tight fit and I end up tweaking the transmission. Mabey I should break down and buy a pen press. Currently I have evolved from banging them in with a wood hammer to pressing them in with my drill press. If a bit of reaming would make the insertion a wee bit smoother then I am game.
Next question. Were is a good sorce of reamers.
Does anyone know were to get spare transmissions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

For almost a year I have been pressing mine using a wooden vise.

I got lucky and bought a Grizzly (or was that HF?) punch for about $14.00 I think.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Easy,

You don't want the transmission to go in too easy, as once it is in, you want it to stay in place. [:)] I use rifle cleaning brass bristle brushes to clean out the tube, and a drill press vise (5" from Grizzly) to press my components to place.

FWIW,

knottyharry

Jeff,
I have a straight carbide bit that I use with my dremel tool to clean out any excess glue in the tube. Just be easy, you can take out the brass also. Then I have a reamer I use just to break any rough edge. Then I put a drop of 3in1 oil on a q-tip and swab the inside of the tube.
I used my drill press for quite a while to press the transmission and other parts in.
Get you a vise when you can.
That is just my way....
Harry

Woodturningz sells twist mechanisms - 10 per pack
http://www.woodturningz.com/PenParts.aspx
I also use baseplate wax to keep glue out of the tubes and a countersink (turn by hand) to clean any burrs from the ends of the tubes.

EasyGreasy

Excellent. Wealth of information here. I have been looking at half a teachers pen all day since I futzed the twist mechanism. Tomarrow if I can find a way to put a magnet on it then it will be a humdinger of a refergerator pen.
Thanks for the info.

JimQ

AZ Silhouette sells the Wilson Chamfering tool for 12.50. Nice and easy to use. It is also available at any gun store that sells reloading equipment. Also any tool that gives you a straight even pressure can be used to press in the transmission. Don't hammer it or use something with a swivel like some clamps.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Chamfering_Tool.htm

angboy

If you want to get the chamfering tool, you might want to check and see what a local gun place would charge- BBs may be cheaper. When I wanted to get one, I wasn't needing anything else from BB, so I checked a local gun store. They didn't have one in stock but said they could order one and the guy thought it'd cost around $6, so I thought great, I'll be saving money! When it came in, it was $16! I told them they could keep it for that price, and got one from BB. And it has come in very handy. In fact, tonight I was using it and discovered it was even more handy than I thought, when I realized that you can put a pen tube on both ends of it so you can work on the inside or outside of the tube. I thought you could only use it where it worked on the inside of the tube!

I also use the wire cleaners that are for riflew cleaning. Wally World sells those in all sorts of sizes that you can buy individually. I can't rememebr what they cost each. Just a few weeks ago, I ordered the "Trend collet brush kit" from Highland Hardware to see how those worked. It cost $9.99 for a set of 4, so I think it was slightly more than the Wally World prices. I like it, but now it's disappeared off of their site and when I do a yahoo search with that name, I only get places in the UK that sell it! I know I didn't imagine ordering it from them, I just pulled out the invoice to see exactly what it was and why I couldn't find it one their site, but now it seems it's strictly an English product for some reason!

angboy

Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />Woodturningz sells twist mechanisms - 10 per pack
http://www.woodturningz.com/PenParts.aspx

George, could you explain what you do with these? They replace the standard twist mechanism in a slimline? Are these better or what is the benefit to doing this? Thanks!

Hi Angela, they are the same as an ordinary slimline twist mechanism. I bought a pack of them a while ago to use as replacements. They aren't special or any better than the ones that come with the kits. I've had the odd one that didn't work as smoothly as it should.

Rudy Vey

I use a de-burring tool to take off any sharp edges on my tubes, I make sure there is no glue residue by running a drill bit through the tube: "L" for the 8mm tubes and, I think, "D" for the 7 mm kits.
Assembly can be done with drill press, a clamp or at your bench with the vise (have done all of these ways, but never used a hammer, though).
Invest in a toggle clamp and make your own pen press, this is the cheapest way or buy an arbor press, this is the best way to assemble pens.

rtparso

I have some cheep 1/4" drill bits and run them through with a battery drill. the reason I use cheep drills is that they are not true to size and the ones I found were about .235 and just shine the insides of the tubes.

Pipes

Iam not the brightest bulb in the lamp guys I know !!! But imho this is being made a lot more complicated than it is I have made maybe 25 pens ! NO not many but this seems simple to me if you have a clean tube and NOT a bad part it outa just go in all mine have ! Now I have loaded my share a shells and this is NO were near as hard and loading IMO is simple !! I think all ya gotta do is make sure the tube is clear a glue and to losen the start a bit brass is soft use a gun cleaning brush and I can not for the life a me see anyne having a problems..Iam sure I am wrong thou as I am so new to this !! [:I]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Pipes

Originally posted by Pipes
<br />Iam not the brightest bulb in the lamp guys I know !!! But imho this is being made a lot more complicated than it is I have made maybe 25 pens ! NO not many but this seems simple to me if you have a clean tube and NOT a bad part it outa just go in all mine have ! Now I have loaded my share a shells and this is NO were near as hard and loading IMO is simple !! I think all ya gotta do is make sure the tube is clear a glue and to losen the start a bit brass is soft use a gun cleaning brush and I can not for the life a me see anyne having a problems..Iam sure I am wrong thou as I am so new to this !! [:I] ! thing thou I do use a pen press I kina figure thats like salt and pepper in cooking a almost must have or have problems ...fact is the folks I see with problems almost NOT always are NOT using a pen press... just a thought from very newbie pen turner [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom