real Florida gator pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

My son in law is a huge Florida Gators fan...why?! With MIchigan and Michigan State in his own back yard.
Anyway, I requested a blank from Tom Barron(tkbarron) to make a gators pen for his upcoming birthday. I think he"ll get a kick outta the fact it's a real gator pen.
Thanks, Tom, you did a fine job on the casting and the colors are great!

Attachments

• fla gator3 003 - Copy.jpg
    fla gator3 003 - Copy.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 696
  • fla gator2 021 - Copy.jpg
    fla gator2 021 - Copy.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 607
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

Great job to both Glenn and Tom.I'd be a fan of that pen no matter which university it represented.

Now to put that blank on my wish list.Tom,is this something you would make more of or is it a one off,limited edition?

tkbarron

Hey Glenn,

I've been under water the past few months with family health issues and have negleted to keep a mindful eye on IAP. I'm sorry to you and especially Chris Houston for not checking in.

That's a fine job you did there. How did the others turn out?

As you know this was an experimental blank. I've been looking for ways to create multi-color gator blanks that are attractive, stable and affordable.

This pen uses a combination of Alumilite resin and synthetic sand. I've made a few like this using different sand colors and while the effect can be cool it's very labor intensive. I've also made a few using crushed stone but those were much more difficult to turn. I think the sand is easy to turn and it takes a finish very well.

Tom

panamag8or

Hey Glenn,

I've been under water the past few months with family health issues and have negleted to keep a mindful eye on IAP. I'm sorry to you and especially Chris Houston for not checking in.

That's a fine job you did there. How did the others turn out?

As you know this was an experimental blank. I've been looking for ways to create multi-color gator blanks that are attractive, stable and affordable.

This pen uses a combination of Alumilite resin and synthetic sand. I've made a few like this using different sand colors and while the effect can be cool it's very labor intensive. I've also made a few using crushed stone but those were much more difficult to turn. I think the sand is easy to turn and it takes a finish very well.

Tom

It's really sweet, and I want one!:biggrin:

Glenn, good job on the pen!

Top Bottom