Ready to take the plunge into pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Well, hanging out here with all of you awesome people has really peaked my interest in turning pens. I am ready to take the plunge into pens, can I get some suggestions on a starter-kit to get me going? I thought you had to have a mini-lathe to turn pens, but it seems like a lot of you have tanks like mine. I want something moderately priced [:I], but also one that is going to give some good mileage. I do love to turn. I heard someone talking about one kit that includes the pen assemblies (I can't remember what they're called).
Thanks,
Rob From Delaware
PS, I'm down to 336 lbs. and falling. I might have to change my log-on to TallRob777;) Oh, to answer the questions that will inevitably come up: South Beach Diet and -- I started at 379 lbs a year ago.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Rob, there are actually a few of the starter kits. the ones that come to mind right now are. at P.S.I. this is a link to there web page showing all of them.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PSS
as you will see there is a selection so you choose which will suit you best. Anouther recently new turner and friend of mine just bought one of these starter sets, He needed a lathe as well and finally settled on this package I believe.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=TCLPROXX&Category_Code=PSS
I know this is the lathe he now has. of course many fators influence the final decision. overall price while still looking for quality. the space in which you have to work. etc.
this should at least give you a good start for your search.

BigRob777

Thanks,
I just bought a lathe, which I am in the process of making useable, ie greasing/oiling and a switch. I just need a starter set. Here is my lathe.[:D]
BTW, I am going to install a heavy duty switch, not that vsr thing in the picture. Thanks to you folks.[:I]

2005515112532_DSCN0141.jpg
<br />

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
SoonToBeTallRob,
First, contgratulations on your weight loss success. That's a tough road, but it sounds like you are doing well!

My only problem with starter kits is that the often contain stuff you can do without. You might want to look at CSUSA's starter kits for a pen that you like. They include 2 kits, a drill and bushings. As a member here, Nils can likely guide you in what else you need. I bought the cheapest set of turning tools that Harbor Freight offered. I have to sharpen them more often than the "nice" tools, but they do the job.

Just some thoughts, I hope they help.

BigRob777

Ahh,
I forgot that the 50 or so tools I have for turning are too big. I'll have to get a nice set. I did get some small carving chisels from costco, that might hold me over until I figure out what I need. It's funny, I have such a hang-up on producing top notch quality for others, but I have bought cheap tools most of my life. Go figure!?

coach

Rob, congrats on the weight loss. I went from 275 to 168 in the last 2 years. I run, lift weights etc.. daily now. I feel better than I did when I was 23! Stay with it, it is worth it.

I got the PSI starter kit when I began. I have also bought small hss turning tool set from Harbor Freight for $5.00 on sale. I do use those tools also. My brother turns pens with his full sized tools. I don't care for the large tools for pens though. Watch the sales and you can get your stuff fairly cheap. Oh and I forgot to tell you, you will have the sickness soon! LOL

wayneis

Rob You have already recieved a few very good tips but I'm going to toss in another couple. First if that lathe rest the is shown is the only one that you have you will need another shorter model. If that is the case there is someone over in our sales area that is selling rests at a very good price. The next tip is something that I brought up several months ago but I noticed that now someone also agrees with me and that is that some of the larger kits are as easy or easier than the slimlines to turn. The Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesman and the baron are the frst that comes to mind. They are all very easy to turn but will yeild a beautiful pen. You should start out just turning wood between centers anyway just to get a feel how the different tools feel and what each does.

Wayne

alamocdc

Rob, I bought the PSI starter kit and have not been disappointed. It came with three chisels and will get the job done and the other things you would need including 10 SL pens and pencil kits. The only thing I wasn't excited about was the Rosewood blanks that came with the kits, but that's just because it was Rosewood. Some might like another direction, but for the money it was a good choice for me.

BigRob777

Hi all,
Sounds like some great advice. I am certainly not at a loss for pen blanks, as I sell them on ebay. I think I'll try to get a kit that has the mandrel and drilling apparatus first, then buy the tools I want, if I need any. I can't use 1/2 of the chisels I have from costco, but I can use the others. I can also customize some chisels, by making them shorter, or narrower. I think I will also take wayneis's advice and just turn a few of my cheaper blanks, to get the feel of the smaller wood. I have turned a good bit of cherry logs (cut down on my cabinet saw), making salt and pepper shakers and candle sticks. I am ready to expand AND contract, make bowls and pens. I'll make sure to ask lots of questions, as long as you folks are kind enough to answer them. Thanks again.
Big Rob in Delaware
[:p]I can't wait!

Hi Rob, congratulations on the weight loss. You might check this out from PSI. The dvd isn't the greatest in the world but it's free with a $10 coupon. If you're new at sharpening tools (I still am) buy a cheap set and learn to sharpen on them before grinding away an expensive set. The cheap tools cut just as well as the expensive ones you just have to sharpen them more often. [:)] http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=DVD&Category_Code=

Thumbs

Subscribe to every supplier's catalog like all of us did. You will be amazed at all the choices you have! After total confusion sets in, like all of us had, pick one starter set and start rippin' and tearin'.

You probably can't go wrong with whatever you pick, because after the fever really sets in, you'll realize you have to get at least one of every pen kit anyway, just to see! So start to have fun!

There is NO best pen or kit or tool for everyone. You have to explore and find what suits you best. Don't worry this will probably also change quite often. You won't get bored (not with penmaking, maybe just with some of us old fogies) but you will have fun!

Also, I think, it won't matter what tool set you start with; you'll find the fascination of pen making will help you get around any limitation of your tools and you'll realize that you can always improve no matter what tool you're using. [:p][:D][:p]

BigRob777

Awesome advice folks, thanks! Actually, I have seen tool sharpening on tv and have experimented with my cheaper (what are they called, chisels, knives?)tools and have been fairly successful, but I haven't used them for anything precision. You might laugh, but I use a benchtop belt sander (one of those with a 4" disc attached).

For the turning I've done, it does fine, but I think that for pens, I'm going to have to do a better, more precise job. I'll click on that link tonight, Leo. I missed the bids on ebay for lignum vitae and pink ivory, because I was off task. Now I've got to wait another week. ARRGHHH!![V][V] Oh well, you win some and you lose the rest. I could have won the ivory too. I don't hear it mentioned here, does it make good pens? Wow, I really get sidetracked, don't I. Ah well, back to work. Thanks for posting, you are by far the best forum out there. AAW is quite helpful too, but I get more answers here. I hope some day to pass on this knowledge to the next new guy/gal. Thanks again. I feel like I'm home. (actually I am, but you know what I mean).[;)] Now, you see what sleep depravation does to you?
Oh I almost forgot, have any of you had a bad reaction to bolivian rosewood? My hands are getting unuseable, they are so covered with poison ivy-like bumps. Now they are starting to hurt, not just itch. Any suggestions? Aside from the obvious: don't work with the stuff.

woodwish

I've seen the same reaction to cocabola, which is somehow related to poison ivy, but have no suggestions other than yours. You may try some of those blue latex gloves that some of the fancier mechanics use to keep the dust off your hands but are fine enough to not be dangerous like cloth gloves would be. Be sure to use a good DC system and respirator, inflamed hands are nothing compared to inflamed lungs and throat!

atvrules1

The blue gloves aren't latex, they are a new material called nitrile. The seem to be the most popular with those in the medical profession that are developing allergies to latex. A little more expensive, but they are good. Good luck with all of you that have allergies to wood. Might be a good idea to keep a little benadryl around also.
Anyway Rob. I don't think I can add any to what all these guys have already told you. So, good luck and dive right in.

BigRob777

[B)]This may be my last post for a while. It is really uncomfortable to type. I read that drying your own blanks in wet sawdust can create your own spalt. Is that true? If so, then how much saw dust, does it have to come from spalted sawdust? I really like the look of spalted pens. I have a bunch of curly spalted oak, which I'm going to formally introduce you all in a bit, but I would love to learn how to make my own. I planned to mix regular sawdust with spalted and soak bowl blank size wood. But for how long? How much water do I put in? I have some nice 6" slabs of hickory I got in today, that I would like to spalt. Well, I'm falling asleep on the keyboard again. I hope to hear from y'all soon, but I may not be responding very quickly. I'll be back!![B)]

200551691035_DSCN0142.jpg
<br />
This is before it got bad. Good Ol' contact dermatitis. Lungs are feeling a slight bit better.
BigRob

BigRob777

Well, it looks like I can type for at least one more day. Thanks Geo in Winnipeg, for the DVD and coupon recommendation. I just ordered it. What makes the 3/4" mandrel different from their basic set? I can't wait to get the dvd. In the mean time, I'll have to keep showing my ignorance, by asking lots of questions. I think I have a 6" tool rest, is that short enough? I'm having trouble figuring out how to adjust the clamp that holds it down. It is a double and is totally different than my oldie, but cheapie, which I paid $60.00 for and sold at a yard sale for $50.00. Not too shabby. It brings me that much closer to my Grizzly 17" band saw.

[:D][:D][:D]

jdavis

Rob, I bought our starter set from PSI. I bought the Carb-tec lathe and starter set it came with. Works well for our use. We use it every dat. Just bought the Turncrafter Pro from PSI. I like the Carb better.

knottyharry

Hi Rob,
Here is another place you can talk to. Just call them up. Woodturningz. Talk to Ryan, Fritz, or Jason.
They are a dealer for PennState Ind. And also get stuff from several of the others also. There number is 1-888-736-5487.
But there are a lot of others out there also.
Harry

JimGo

I have a TurnCrafter Pro and it works well for me, but I don't have anything against which to reference it (well, anything WORTH referencing it against). I'd trust Jack's opinion; if a bunch of highschool kids can beat on it and it still works, then it's probably a good choice! Plus, you can't beat the price of the PSI lathes. I know a lot of people here swear by Jet, and I'm sure they are good lathes, but I'd rather sink the difference in cost into a couple of extra kits, mandrels, or other fun toyw.

I went with the TCPro because the headstock was a #2 Morse Taper and threaded with 1"x8TPI threads, which meant I could use some of the chucks, faceplates, and other stuff I had bought for my other, el-cheapo lathe I got off eBay.

I also agree with Harry; check out either WoodTurningz or Pens Of Color; they both resell PSI's equipment, and at less than PSI's cost to you. Although, if you're willing to drive to Northeast Philly, PSI has a showroom from which you can purchase the lathe yourself, and skip the shipping costs, which may make up the difference in cost. Their storefront is open on Saturdays 'till Noon. They also often have interesting sales in the store that aren't online or in the catalog.

BigRob777

I may have led you kind folks astray. I have a lathe, I want a starter set that doesn't include one. I need the mandrel and drill apparatus and whatever else, but not the lathe. I can't wait to get this one up and running. I do have a short tool rest also.

I just got a dozen slabs (rough split) of what I think is hickory. It is a grayish brown, somewhat similar to walnut. I think I'll crosscut some pen blanks out of it and dry them. I'm going to modify the washing machine dryer that someone posted here and make it out of wood and that styrofoam-like insulation, with a light bulb and door. I hope it works. I'm going to find out what hickory looks like. I'll post a picture next reply.

2005516235457_DSCN0141.jpg

jenamison

Hey Rob call Sheila at Pens of Color www.pensofcolor.com and ask her to set you up with some slimlines with bushings and some PSI semi-gloss sealer. I also mainly use 220 grit paper with some of the magic sand stuff from www.hutproducts.com. And if you want a one tool wonder, one that can do it all and what I use most of the time (99%) take a look at CSUSA Hamlet 2030 3/4" Spindlemaker. I like you already had the lathe, first a full size Craftsman and then my mainstay ShopSmith. This is how I started and went from there. Good luck buddy, have fun

Mike

BigRob777

I'm going to move on these recommendations soon, but I am so busy, trying to get a business going that It may be a while. I hate not being able to go into my shop, but I had such a bad reaction to the bolivian rosewood that I cut up, that I have to take a week off. AAARRRGGGHHH!,
or as smiley says--[:(!][V][:(][xx(]

woodguy1975

I suffer the same reaction as you do. Beleive me I wish mine was that light. I have bumps like yours from my forearms down to my waste and on my legs. The arm pits are the worst area to have it besides an obvious location. [;)] (Yeah, I've had it there too.[:(!]) All this from Walnut of all woods. You need to clean up every little bit of dust from that rosewood or you'll regret it. I've broken out 3 times since I stopped turning walnut just from loose dust in my shop. I keep my shop fairly clean as well and have cleaned the area well twice. Lacewood does the same thing to me. I won't even think about paduak or rosewood. I don't have a death wish.[:0]

Good Luck,

John

BigRob777

Wow, everything on your list is in my shop right now. I am going to sell off all that affects me. Fortunately, I cleaned up the rosewood, which is the reason for most of this stuff (a second outbreak, before the first was even subsiding. I just got some gorgeous Walnut too. I found out, after getting it that it is on "The List". Thanks for the heads-up.
I know there's a lot of articles out there, which are much more complete, but here's one that lists a number of the "guilty parties".
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9153334&dopt=Abstract

Dario

Check this link for toxic wood too:
http://www.cedarstump.us/carvingclub/pages/i_toxicity.html

Just to let you know that you don't necessarily need smaller tools for penturning. I use big ones and actually prefer it (not too big about 18" long).

As far as I am concerned the only tool you need to master is the SKEW. You need a gouge to round the blank but after that skew is it! If you need a tenon then you might use a parting tool too...that is it (for me).

As far as sharpening is concerned, penturning tool is just same as your regular turning tools and should be sharpened the same way. Of course you need to "hone" [;)] your technique if it was being done incorrectly before.

You've got a lot of good advise already...hope you enjoy the long and slippery road of turning...fun but can cost you [}:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You don't even need the gouge to round the blank if you learn to do a planing cut with the skew. After I learned how to do it from Alan Lacer's video, I never went back to a gouge for rounding wood blanks, especially the real brittle and tricky ones..

vick

I have roughed blanks with both the gouge and the skew. For me the time I can rough a blank with a 3/4 roughing gouge is much faster than I can do with the skew. If I had to recomend 2 lathe tolls for a starting pen turner (one who will not need to cut tendons), it would be a Sorby 3/4 roughing gouge, and a 3/4 Oval skew. The 3rd tool would be a thin parting tool. Just my opinion but having good tools and the right tool for the job seems to make the job easier for me.

BigRob777

Well, it seems like there is some consensus (sp?) in this forum. I have about thirty or forty tools, including all of the aforementioned, except I have never heard of an oval skew. What is it? I have about 6 or 7 different skews, as I have been turning a bit over the last year and am always looking for better tools. I bought mostly cheapies, but got some real prizes with this lathe. I don't think I'll need any more tools, but the drill, vise, mandrel, sealer, finish and of course, pen kits. Anything else you guys/gals can think of, please add let me know. Thanks a bunch.
Figgy
(my new nickname, because I sell on ebay as FiguredWoods). Hey Ben (leatherman), are you out there? I don't want to spill the beans, but he could sure use our prayers, or e-mails because of a health issue. I sure hope this, and he is OK. He's a good man. I"ll check the forum for his entries.

Dario

You'll need finishing materials...as in sanding paper (lots of different grits [;)]), CA (crazy glue)-optional, and whatever you'll want as a finish. This is a major topic by itself.

Oval skew is the same as your regular skew...only have oval cross section instead of a rectangle. I rounded the edges of my skew to "mimic" the effect and it works fine. I will buy the oval skew myself if I am on the market. My skews edge are not straight...it is curved and it really works great. Harder to sharpen but worth it.

JimGo

Rob,
If you're going to buy sanding supplies, check out the AbraNet (http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PKMESHKIT&Category_Code=SAND) set of sanding mesh from PSI (2 packs of 5 grits each). I have successfully turned between 20 and 30 pens, have ruined several more during the finishing process, and have done some bracelets, part of a bowl, and some other stuff, all of which have at least seen the use of the 120 grit (my most used and abused) AbraNet. Even with all of my abuse (think of how rough you were on your stuff last year when you started; I've had the AbraNet since day 1), and it is still going pretty strong. I figure I'm about 1/2 way through the 120 grit, and as noted above, the pack from PSI includes two of each grit. Well worth the $10, IMHO.

Oh, and of course there's also MicroMesh...another very worthwhile investment.

BigRob777

<b>What benefit does the oval skew have over the straignt. I don't think I "inherited" an oval, but I'll check. The tools I got for free with the lathe are very old. Most are buck brothers, but the two carbides at right are unnamed. I haven't cleaned off them yet, but these are just the ones I just got. I have a 5 piece buck bro's and a cheap 8 piece set, plus a 12 Costco Special carver's set, some of which I can use on the lathe, and are only 8" long. None of them is oval. I am all set for spindles, but I need a bowl gouge and can use the carbide flats for pens, along with the skews. Can anyone tell me how to use the parting tool with the sicle support (in the middle?</b>

2005517233928_DSCN0171.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Rob, you will determine which tools work best for you. Just like different strokes for different folks thing. Some can skew, others just can't. As for the bowl gouge. Wait before making the investment. Get advice from local friends who are good (very good) at bowl turning. I have two high-end bowl gouges and can't do squat with them. But the guys in the videos make beautiful ribbons fly. As for the parting tool thing in the arc. Hang it on the wall to impress your friends that you have fancy turning tools. It is supposed to give you a precise repeat parting cut. I had one and got rid of it. The cutting angle was just wrong, it didn't work. And for tools you find you are not using, try grinding them to suit your own needs. As one master turner said in a video I watched, "You own them. Do what you want with them, there's no law against custom grinding."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom