Re-Truck HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Okay I'm back to thinking its the transmission(see first two post about truck below),I had a tranny guy tell my father that it was a piece of plastic that keep the shifter in the right spot that is worn down and causing the tranny not to go into first gear.I have a ton of slop in my shifter when it is in gear,he claimed he was almost positive that is what it was(he owns a tranny shop).I didn't talk to him so heard the info. second hand I got no name to the part so I need help.I also read online about a guy with the same problem and he said someone told him it was an aluminum plate that has worn out not holding it in gear.I have looked for over an hour on the internet with no results,I need to know what this part is.I would love to see a schematic of it if possible,but my library didn't have my trucks manual.HELP PLEASE between my knee and truck my pocket book is empty,but I always have lots of wood,LOL.Thank you,Victor

Second post on the truck
Hello, so I'm a little stupid about autos and thought that my truck was not going into first gear as it was acting like i was trying to take off in third.I was wrong its going into first but it will not take off normal,it jerks and acts like it doesn't want to burn the fuel.My uncle said that he thought it was a air line that goes from the air filter to the top of the engine.Is this the lines coming from the manifold?I have one that goes from one manifold to under the carb,then one that was not attached to anything coming from the other manifold.The air filter has a port for a line but it is larger then the hose coming from the manifold?I'm sure I'm just confusing people as I'm very confused myself.Any help would be great,Victor

My first post on the truck
Hello, my 88 chevy pick up manual transmission will not shift into first gear,but all other gears just fine.I had to take off in second to get home this afternoon??I searched the internet and found someone with the same thing happening,Someone replied that it was a synchro?I see Synchro rings kits that are not that expensive,my question is this has anyone changed these or had it done.I wonder how hard it is or how much it would cost to have it done.Maybe someone else has another idea what is causing this to happen.Any information would be great thanks for the help in advance,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Pull the boot from the floorboard. Where the shifter goes into the trans, there is a dome shaped cap that is spring loaded. Inside is a plastic washer that holds the shifter down. Part is cheap from about any parts store. A little trickier putting it back in but doable.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The plate could be the problem but sounds like a worn shift fork to me, you wont know either without a visual look in side. I would not get in a hurry and start ordering parts. I'd find someone you trust and knows a bit about it to get it right or you will be forever and money wasted getting it guessed at.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
usualy if your syncros are bad it will grind like hell trying to get into gear with the motor running or it will kick it out of gear constantly, I agree with Hunter you need to get a look inside. I had a chevy 3 speed that the front shaft bearings went bad in that did about the same thing your describing. The forks could be bent or worn or broken. I think if the top pieces in the shifter were bad you would have a lot of slop and finding gears would be fun but once in gear it should be operating normaly .Do you have a top select shift trans or a side select shift trans? 3 or 4 speed ? Are you physicaly capable of pulling the trany yourself with your bad Knee?

Hello, I think its a top select as the shifter goes right done in to the trans., its a 5 speed.Okay I take off the shifter and I can get it into first no problem and it drives like it should,but with the shifter on it will not move it over far enough to get to first gear(it will only let me get to third)???I really think its in the shifter its self,but I can't find any schematics on the shifter to show me how it all works.I can get help to pull the transmission if need be,as this is what will happen if I can't fix it soon.I will fins a used trans and just replace the darn thing,my uncle tells me its pretty easy to do with some mechanical aptitude.Any more ideas?Thanks everyone for the time replying to my mess.Victor

Top Bottom