RB-FP Ebonite Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

I have been working on this pen order for awhile. A customer asked for a fountain pen/roller ball set that was for a large hand. This customer has one of my Prickly Pear Cactus El Toro’s and wanted a similar pen but in ebonite. The roller ball kit match for the El Toro fountain pen is the El Presidente.

IMG_0360.jpg

Here is the matched pair.

My first impression is that I am not a fan of the mount post for the El Presidente, you honestly would never use it as it’s posted size is about that of a Louisville Slugger. The posted balance is terrible as well.

IMG_0361.jpg

I have long remembered a post made here about two years ago regarding turning an El Toro with a solid end using El Presidente tubes. Thinking along those lines next time I make a matched pair with this hardware I will turn both the FP and the RB as solid ends and trim the cap length a bit.

There are other options on matched pairs in this size, but those usually include a metal point on the roller ball, these have a plastic feel that many like better.

Comments always welcomed.

:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very good looking pens Jim. I love ebonite. :) I know she was your customer first,
but don't take all her money :D Let her have a little left for when she visits the pen store again :)
I saw her Blue El Toro cactus pen, that was nice as well.

Originally posted by PenWorks

Very good looking pens Jim. I love ebonite. :) I know she was your customer first,
but don't take all her money :D Let her have a little left for when she visits the pen store again :)
I saw her Blue El Toro cactus pen, that was nice as well.

Thanks Anthony,

Well this customer is not the one you are thinking of[:0], and, she said she'll be back, she loves the Sailor you sold her.

I find ebonite a sensitive material to finsh sand than most other materials that I use, but the reward is nice. The Ti Gold is a nice combo with the red banded ebonite.

The El Toro you saw was not the best I have ever done, but she wanted that one...what was I to say??!!;)

bitshird

Very nice looking set Jim, I really want to try some ebonite, especially the red stripe and the green, I hope I can get somewhere close to this pair

Top Bottom