Razor Quartet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevenpetry

stevenpetry

Knocked out a few razors today. And tried my hand at a kitless razor while I was at it. Turns out, the threads on the razors is the same as a bottle stopper. So chucking this up was quite easy since I had a bottle stopper mandrel handy. Anyway, first one is in an Earth acrylic blank, then buckeye burl, urban camo, and lastly carbon fiber.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Hey Steven, those are beautiful. Am a wood nut also, but razors make more sense being acrylic. I was wondering if you have a certain way to finish (ca)? that holds up to wet environs and make wood blanks last? I made one from desert ironwood and 20 coats of ca that still is holding up well. Very nice set of razors and love the kitless idea.:cool:

stevenpetry

Thanks for the complements guys.

That buckeye blank looked pretty plain as a square. It was half light and half dark and it didn't look like it would've worked very well for a pen. Hindsight makes me wish I used it on a pen now. And it's finished in CA, but the ends also get a few good coats to seal the blank completely. It's also stabilized. Time will tell if it works out.

stevenpetry

I actually like the kitless look.
maybe have to go that way on my next one

Used a 5/16 to start on the blank and just went far enough so the full width of the bit hit the blank. This is done to slightly countersink the razor head. Otherwise you end up seeing a little gap/valley where the blank meets it. Then a 3/16 bit goes in about 1" and the hole gets tapped with a 1/4 x 20 tap. Then spun up on the bottle mandrel.

Top Bottom