Razor Kits - Wood Concerns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AngryRhino

AngryRhino

Hi all,

I've been turning out mostly acrylic for my razor kits, as i'm afraid of what water will do to a pen turned out of wood with a CA finish on it.

I speculate that water will seep under the CA somehow and cause clouding (even if seal the ends with CA as well.)

Anyone have experience using a wood razor? How do you keep them defended vs the inevitable water logging?

I really want to make some wooden razors, but this is speculation is holding me back from doing so.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I would suggest forgetting the gloss film finish and using a wax / mineral oil finish. Easy to apply / maintain.

If the handle is left sitting in water it won't matter what finish you use. Wood handles will require more care than a plastic handle.

Ed

Harley2001

You have to make sure you seal the ends good the water goes down though the threads and will swill up the wood also seal the threads

GoodTurns

I always sealed the ends very well, then used marine epoxy when installing the head. This blocks water penetration/collection via the threads (and why would they need to remove the head anyway?) The screw in head is for the builders benefit, not the users.

LagniappeRob

I just had to replace a head that got dropped. The razor cartridge wouldn't latch to the head. PSI was nice enough to send me one... but if I had epoxied it like that, I suspect it would have been a lost cause.

walshjp17

Use wood that is 'water friendly' such as Teak (used as decking on boats and ships for centuries) or Cyprus. Finish with a hard friction polish; Doctor's Pens Plus finish comes to mind.

AngryRhino

So, I'm hearing something like a stabilized wood with a nice hard friction polish / wax? Maybe also a dense / water resistant wood rather than stabilized?

Top Bottom