Razor Blades to pricey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I am just curious on other people's thoughts on this subject.
I personally think that razor blades are way over priced and I am always looking for a better deal on them. I am currently using the Gillette Fusion type and was at Costco the other day and they were $52.00 for 18. If you use this type what are you paying for them in the US or other country's ???
I have tried to use electric razors as they are likely a better bang for your buck but I hate them, never feel clean shaven with them. Thanks for you thoughts.

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

CAn't answer this: With chemo & radiation treatments in and around my beard I lost all facial hair. I never had to shave for 10 months. Its starting to come back a little now.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I buy mine at the Dollar Tree----10 disposable razors for $1.

Only TWO blades, but then I grew up having to use only ONE blade. So two is fine, for me.

One razor usually lasts about a week. Roughly 2 cents a day.

Cmiles1985

I use the Gillette Fusion razors, and I'm paying $44 for 16 heads at Sam's Club. My wife uses them too. One package of 16 lasts us about 18 months (maybe closer to two years), so roughly $0.08/day.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use a simple old double edge razor & buy 10-packs of blades at Kroger for about $3.50 - sometimes cheaper.

I get 2-3 shaves from each edge of the blade, so that's roughly 6 to 9 cents per day. I have no complaints.

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

The Dollar Shave Club is the way to go! Switched over a couple years ago. for $2-6 dollars a month they will ship premium razor blades to your door. When you sign up you pick the type of razor you want, they send you the handle and 4 blades. After that they send 4 new blades every month unless you opt out. They send you an email informing you they are getting ready to send new ones. You can choose to skip or defer to next month if you don't need the blade at that time. The razor is sturdy and the blades are great! I won't go back to buying them in the store as long as this club is around!!!!!

Joe Burns

I was buying the plastic two blade shavers from Sams club for a good while. Was getting them in packs of 52 for 19.95. Just recently switched to the old fashion safety razor a couple of weeks ago. Packs of 5 blades are around $2.00.

BSea

I switched to the old double edge system about a year ago. I use feather blades, and I can barely feel them when that are new. They cost me $7 for 10, and with my light beard, I get about 2 weeks per blade. And much better than using a fusion.

The feather blades are sharp though. You have to be a bit more careful. I cut myself a few times in the 1st few months. Once you get used to it, it's no problem.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I switched to the old double edge system about a year ago. I use feather blades, and I can barely feel them when that are new. They cost me $7 for 10, and with my light beard, I get about 2 weeks per blade. And much better than using a fusion.

The feather blades are sharp though. You have to be a bit more careful. I cut myself a few times in the 1st few months. Once you get used to it, it's no problem.

Where do you get those feather blades, Bob?
I might like to give them a try.

donnalleyd

DE razor here. Switched a few years back because my facial hair is fairly thin and had a theory that the Mach 3 I was using was flattening the hair instead of cutting it. Best shave I had in my life. Now I find myself considering a straight razor. Never need another blade.

Anyways amazon has many different types of DE razor blades. There cheap and in my opinion leave you with a cleaner shave with less irritation. Try a few and see what you like. Just make sure you also use a good shaving cream.

Carl Fisher

To the best of my knowledge, Dollar Shave Club is or at least was using Dorco blades. I did go through a pack of Dorco blades and while I was using them I felt that they were good, but as soon as I went back to a true Gillette blade the difference was immediately noticeable in terms of comfort.

I'm actually looking to make the full time jump to a DE safety razor. That is a whole world in itself it seems and trying to figure out size, shape, length, weight, etc... is going to be an interesting experience. Of course I'll ultimately make my own so experimenting with these attributes won't cost much if anything.

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I can get an additional week from Mach 3s if I sharpen them. There are all kinds of You Tube vids on this but I just use and old piece of denim from jeans and it works.
WB

mlconnelly

I am also a double edge guy that uses feather blades. I order from Amazon out of Asia for $0.33 each. Each one lasts me 5-7 days so it costs me roughly $16 - $17 per year. They are extremely sharp and even come with a warning for those not experienced using a DE razor. I order 50 at a time.

Last edited:

thrustmonkey

I switched over to wet shaving months ago. Got a couple of safety razors and sampler packs of DE blades and haven't looked back. Have saved a lot of money.

Bought a shaving brush and soap when I started and am still using the original container. Won't be surprised if it lasts over a year.

Feather blades are the sharpest blades made. They'll cut you to ribbons before you know it.

If you want to try a straight razor, buy a shavette first. It's like a straight razor that uses half a DE blade in it. When it gets dull, you replace it. You take a DE blade and snap it in half, and put it in the shavette. This way you can see if you like shaving with a straight razor without spending all that money. Shavettes are cheap, and straight razors go for well over a hundred bucks.

Ross

mick

Ditto one the Dollar Shave Club. I also use their Shave Butter and compared to a shave cream or jel it's the best shave I've had. Not messy either you can apply it to a dry face.

BSea

Where do you get those feather blades, Bob?
I might like to give them a try.
Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a few weeks, and just got back. I get mine locally from a shop that sells primarily pens. But they do unique shaving supplies too. It's called Vanesse. The website doesn't have the shaving items. At least I couldn't find them.

Top Bottom