Rare Earth Magnet Tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use five 1/2 rare earth magnets on the side of my lathe to hold my most often used bushings. I placed 4 of them below the switch, which is way out of the way of turning.

A few weeks ago, I tried to separate a couple of the RE magnets and one went flying, landing on the side of the lathe, I moved it around but left it there. In a couple of days, I stuck a bushing there to hold it while I did something. It was there when I got back. It did NOT walk off! Those magnets hold tight.

I now use one magnet for my slimline bushings, one for my Sierras, two for my Cigars. (I turn these pens regularly.)

I also placed a single magnet on the other end of the lathe to hold any bushings that I am working with or while I am checking out a just turned blank. I have not had a bushing walk off, fall off, get placed under an MM sheet, or go hiding since.

This probably should have gone under Tools, Jigs and such; if so, apologies. it sure assists in my pen turning!

(If there are problems or dangers with this, speak up and enlighten me. - Safety is important.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Hank,
Have you had any problems with the gouges and skews getting magnatized or any other part of the steel lathe? I also used magnets but found that over time(maybe 3 weeks)my tools were getting magnatized also, making it hard to slide a skew across the blank. Had to get a degouser(sp?) to de-magnatize my stuff.[;)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lupe: Tool magnetizing - So far, I haven't noticed anything along that line. I hadn't thought of magnetizing the tools but this is something that I will watch out for. I put all of the magnets except one as far to the left as I could so that they would not be near the turning part of the bed. The other one is to the far end beyond the tail stock.

alxe24

That is a good idea. I used magnets to hold some small wrenches knoking rods and stuff like that. My bushings goes in 35MM film canisters with a lavel.

Randy_

There is a relatively flat spot on the top of the JET mini headstock. I have always had a magnet mounted there to for the Tommy bars for my scroll chuck and the spanner for the Beall collet chuck

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />There is a relatively flat spot on the top of the JET mini headstock. I have always had a magnet mounted there to for the Tommy bars for my scroll chuck and the spanner for the Beall collet chuck

Hey, More great ideas!

Axle - I have a 24 compartment box that I keep all of my bushing in. Each compartment is labeled inside and on top. In two years, I have not dropped or spilled it "yet". But it sure is handy to keep the most used ones at my finger tips.

Now to put my chuck key on top!

bob winegar

I use cow magnets for the same purpose. And thread the bushings on an over-sized safety pin. Each pen's bushings on a different safety pin. I haven't had any problems.

Bob

Randy_

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />.....Axle - I have a 24 compartment box that I keep all of my bushing in. Each compartment is labeled inside and on top. In two years, I have not dropped or spilled it "yet". But it sure is handy to keep the most used ones at my finger tips.

Hank: Now that you have made that statement, chances have skyrocketed that you "WILL" drop that box in the next week or two!!![:D][:D]

There have been quite a few posts from folks who used compartmented boxes and been sorry later. If you do drop that box, you have an annoying problem to solve. Take some of those little baggies that come with your pen kits, label them, and then use them to hold a single set of bushings. Then you can put the bagged sets in your box. That will save a lot of aggravation if you should ever drop the box!!!

Randy_

Originally posted by bob winegar
<br />.....And thread the bushings on an over-sized safety pin. Each pen's bushings on a different safety pin.....

Many moons ago, Don Ward suggested using wire shower curtain hooks. They might be easier for folks to find than special safety pins.....then again.....maybe not??

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />.....Axle - I have a 24 compartment box that I keep all of my bushing in. Each compartment is labeled inside and on top. In two years, I have not dropped or spilled it "yet". But it sure is handy to keep the most used ones at my finger tips.

Hank: Now that you have made that statement, chances have skyrocketed that you "WILL" drop that box in the next week or two!!![:D][:D]

There have been quite a few posts from folks who used compartmented boxes and been sorry later. If you do drop that box, you have an annoying problem to solve. Take some of those little baggies that come with your pen kits, label them, and then use them to hold a single set of bushings. Then you can put the bagged sets in your box. That will save a lot of aggravation if you should ever drop the box!!!

I think I am going to take DW's advice that you passed along - curtain hooks. And I know where I am going to put them! And of course each hook will be labeled!

Dario

How timely. I just got my order in and the tips should prove to be very useful.

If anyone is looking for some nice rare earth magnets...here are what I bought and I think it is a great deal. The seller is also very nice and my buying experience is great. There are cheaper sellers on eBay but none (of the other 2 asked) responded when I asked about combined shipping.

BEWARE: The bigger ones (1" dia x 1/2") are so strong....I find it very difficult to separate them even with the plastic spacers!!! [:0]

Also, read the warnings about getting them too close to any electronic devices, especially those that have memory storage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160139787878
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150165627358
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150165297538

BTW, I like the ones with center holes. You can screw them to anything if you want/need. You can also glue those w/o hole if you want to attach them to non-ferrous materials but I don't think it will be as strong as screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom