Random Fluke or Rookie Mistake?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

Ever have one of those days where you are afraid to touch anything because you are sure it will be the next thing to break?

Tonight I was looking forward to finishing an order of 13 Antique Pewter Dragon pens. I've been approaching this "production style" by completing all of one step at a time. Having turned and polished all the blanks over the last few weeks, tonight I started assembling them. I had the bright idea to open all the kits and take all the pieces out of the bags so I could assemble all the nibs, all the clips, etc. While installing the nibs I cracked a couple blanks and after checking the previous pieces realized I had cracked 6 separate pieces. I wondered if it was something wrong with me, my press, the temperature, etc. However, then I realized that 4 of my kits were different than the others with different sized pieces. (The two toned twist mechanism tipped me off that they were different.) I now believe that I was probably pressing over-sized nibs into tubes that were too small.

I would discuss this with the vendor that I purchased the kits from, but I purchased these kits from 3 different vendors. (long story) So I have no idea who sent me these kits. All the bags have the same PSI sticker on them. Very frustrating to have to go back and redo nearly 25% of the order....

In the future should I always assemble one pen completely while ensuring that I track which tubes came from which specific bag of components? Or do you think this is just a random fluke?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Anytime I try to mass produce it goes south. I think it's a good idea to check/study components before starting. My biggest problem sometimes is not reading instructions first.

Last edited:

longbeard

Before inserting the components, I always clean the inside of the tube.
I use a dremel sanding drum in my drill press.
I sand the inside of the tube to the point that I can almost press the components into the tube by hand. Then finish pressing things together using a pen press.
By doing this, you're less likely to crack any blanks. DAMHIKT

Harry

Beautys_Beast

I often use assembly line for turning. I pick a blank for each kit, and place both the kit, and the blank, in a sandwich size ziplock. I put them all in a box. Then I Measure all the blanks, cut all the blanks, drill all the blanks, but after each step, I put them back in their prospective ziplock, and into a second box. So I am always using two different boxes. (plastic bins actually, but you get the point). This ensures that I always have the right kit, with the right blank. If something goes wrong, like a blow out, I take the remains, and place them in the ziplock with the kit to be dealt with later. This saves from me wasting a bunch of time trying to "fix" something. When I assemble, I assemble each pen, one at a time. This seems the most efficient way for me, and prevents me from losing anything. Im really good at loosing stuff. LOL

RKB

Sorry you are having this issue with the pen kits. It is so frustrating to have a blank crack at final assembly.

I think you would be smart to order all your kits for a production run from one place and order some extra ones for backup and check them for consistancy. One obvious reason is, from what you mentioned and I have noticed too, the parts are different sometimes.

Take care,
Rod

mmayo

A couple of suggestions

Use a conical countersink to soften the inside edges of the brass tubes (I use it)
Buy rifle or pistol barrel brass cleaning brushes ( I use it) thanks mecompo
Buy a rat tail (I use it). I have several sizes

With these suggestions you can eat out of my tubes!

Less install problems, but never zero. I deal with it and hate that much work in the trash. Life is still good.

Top Bottom