Random Access Memory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vakmere

vakmere

Circuit board on a 24k gold Stratus pen kit. I'll be keeping this one for me. This blank tested my patience. The acrylic was pretty dense and prone to chip out, had that scraping sound and produced hardly any ribbons during the turn. Had to be careful being my garage was cold at the time. I'll try the black circuit board once they are back in stock. No doubt we are all moving lots of pens this time of year. Anyway...

Happy holidays to ya'll. :highfive:

Attachments

• circuit board (2).jpg
    circuit board (2).jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job!
Since I do circuit board designs & layouts, I want to make myself one of those someday too. I really wish I had the skills & equipment to make a blank from one of my own boards, but a commercial blank will have to do.

vakmere

Nice job!
Since I do circuit board designs & layouts, I want to make myself one of those someday too. I really wish I had the skills & equipment to make a blank from one of my own boards, but a commercial blank will have to do.

Thanks, but it seems the idea for these types of blanks were initiated here on IAP a few years ago. How the process is done may take some asking around. The circuit board blanks do have some topography to them and if they are using something to soften the backings to bend them would be a guess on my part. Manufactures have more money than we do so they figured how to mass produce them.

Never turning one before I found that these are a poly-resin? and turning them are different than acrylics. I quickly found that wearing a face shield, breathing mask, and latex gloves kept my face from being pelted with schrapnel, particulate out of my mouth, and 'snow' produced from the removal of resin off my hands. The skew and gouge only went so far. With an 1/8" left on the blank I turned the flat skew sideways and scraped off the rest down to about 1/32". Wet sanded down to just proud of the bushings, (didnt want any potholes). For the Stratus I was looking for no less than 11.88mm which is what the front end and clip measured out to be.
The result was worth the effort as anyone who has done one of these will attest.

Maybe someone can come up with a USB circuit board pen that actually works with the board around the tube and the LED flashes as it is loading? Like 'writing' with both ends I would guess....

Last edited:

Charlie_W

The pen looks great! Good job there!

(maybe a different background next time)

*At times, I have trouble as Access to my Memory seems to be Random :eek:

Top Bottom