Rainbow Poplar Burl Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

I got this piece on eBay a while back. Finally above zero around here so I decided to rough turn it today. I'm praying this doesn't crack while drying.

Attachments

• IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

I don't know how you dry things in the land of ice and snow, but down here that sucker would already be buried in wood chips in a cardboard box, sealed, weighed and dated so I could check it every 30 days until it quits losing weight. I hope you wind up with a great bowl!

Bobostro61

I don't know how you dry things in the land of ice and snow, but down here that sucker would already be buried in wood chips in a cardboard box, sealed, weighed and dated so I could check it every 30 days until it quits losing weight. I hope you wind up with a great bowl!

LOL, yup, she's in wood shavings in a paper bag at least.

That's a piece I would soak in my DNA bucket for a couple of days, then set aside to dry... I've had good luck with poplar drying...

Incredible piece of wood.... the last piece of "rainbow" poplar I found (at the local Woodcraft store and in pepper mill blank form) was almost totally black from laying in a swamp or somewhere... the wood stunk like puke and drew flies like crazy... but it did make some beautiful pepper mills....

Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl.

Turned Around

I made a decent sized bowl when I first started turning out of rainbow poplar. Nothing cracked and I had a little thinner wall left on it for drying that you prepped yours for. Mine had similar colors, too. Beautiful when just polished when done. Need to buy some more.

Bobostro61

That's a piece I would soak in my DNA bucket for a couple of days, then set aside to dry... I've had good luck with poplar drying...

Incredible piece of wood.... the last piece of "rainbow" poplar I found (at the local Woodcraft store and in pepper mill blank form) was almost totally black from laying in a swamp or somewhere... the wood stunk like puke and drew flies like crazy... but it did make some beautiful pepper mills....

Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl.

At the price of DNA around here (especially to fill a bucket), the DNA would cost more than the blank cost me. I'll give the paper bag and shavings a go.

At the price of DNA around here (especially to fill a bucket), the DNA would cost more than the blank cost me.

That's one of the main reasons I like to turn to finish on my bowls :)

My DNA bucket is more than a year old... it's a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that I got at Lowe's and has about 3 gallons of DNA... I bought them over a couple of months from revenue from one of my shows... don't think I paid more than $15 per gallon.

But most of the time, I do like alankulwicki.... I turn to finish and if they warp, so be it... haven't had many crack that way... if they still feel really wet after I reach final sizes, I may run them through the microwave... I have one in the shop that I picked up at local habitat store for about $20... it's an old one that will hold about a 13 inch bowl.

raar25

Awesome looking wood, I will have to revisit E-Bay.

So this a new one for me, do you just dunk the wood in the DNA and how long do you leave it in there?

Top Bottom