quick question, can I use a pressure tank wo/ regulator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbmauser

I have a shot at a craftsman paint pressure pot with no gage or regulator, I have a small pancake compressor that I can set output pressure. Will this work or should I pass and buy a complete pot with regulator and meter? Since this is just for creating a pressure chamber. Thanks, JB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

NOT a good idea. You may use the compressor for an application using a higher pressure than the pot is rated for and forget to reset the regulator when you connect the pressure pot. It is safest to have a dedicated regulator permanently attached to the pressure pot.

If the price for this pressure pot is low enough go ahead and get it. You can buy a small pressure regulator and gauge separately and attach them to the pressure pot. A safety valve is also a good idea in case something happens to the regulator.

Fred

It is not really a good idea to use without the regulator and the safety valve. :eek: There are there for a reason you know ... not just for the looks!

IF YOU ARE CAREFUL and have an output regulator on the air compressor that is known to be working properly you could set the output to a safe level and then fill the pressure pot. IF you exceed the pressure pot safety rating level just remember that it then becomes a lethal bomb and can quite easily cause great damage to you and or anyone else standing around.

Someone here on the Forum recently posted just such an occurrence but I do not remember who it was. They were extremely lucky this time and were not injured past having to go and clean up a bit and change cloths.

It is NEVER a smart idea to circumvent ANY safety device nor exceed stated pressure ratings when dealing with life threatening devices such as pressure pots. Be safe and do it the correct way and have a safe and long filled life!

sbell111

I have a shot at a craftsman paint pressure pot with no gage or regulator, I have a small pancake compressor that I can set output pressure. Will this work or should I pass and buy a complete pot with regulator and meter? Since this is just for creating a pressure chamber. Thanks, JB
This will work, but you have to make sure that you always properly set the output pressure. A better plan would be to add a guage, regulator, and safety valve onto your pot.

(My pots have guages, but no regulator or safety valve.)

Top Bottom