Quick and Easy question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbarton22

Where is a good place to pick up a bottle of ink?

I was in Office Max last night, and some guy asked the sales person for a bottle of ink for a fountain pen and they acted like he walked right out of the 1800's asking for it. Then I realized that I did not, myself, where to find a bottle of ink.

Any ideas? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

williamcr

I was exploring some websites in the "Share your sources" post and it looks like exoticblanks.com has some bottles of ink with good prices.

sbarton22

THAT'S where I have seen them! I couldn't remember. I was thinking it was at a local art srt store, but I had not been there forever, so it didn't make sense.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Also Indy Pen Dance carries inks, Exotic Blanks, Classic NIb, The Golden Nib. probably quite a few other suppliers carry inks.

juteck

Try the Goulet Pen Company.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Inks_s/889.htm

They also have an excellent "swab shop" that shows the various colors.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab_Shop_s/793.htm

Brian Goulet used to be a member here, but put pen making on the backburner to develop this family business. They are extemely active in the Fountain Pen Network (FPN).

The FPN is also a great source for seeing the various inks in their ink review section - free registration gives you information overload for fountain pens, inks, paper, and paraphenalia.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

ve3bax

exercise some caution when buying inks from craft shops and art supply stores... if its not fountain pen friendly you could end up with a mess on your hands... i bought a little bottle of this really nice blue ink from a small art shop near my office and i asked the guy if it was fountain pen friendly... (ie, no shellac) he says oh yeah people come in here all the time and use that stuff in FP's... so i bought a small bottle to try it out and after a few days of use the flow sucked in an otherwise medium to wet writer... after doing a little investigation of the box, i discovered that the inside of one of the little flaps said "contains shellac" and i found my problem... pretty much ruined the feed, but fortunately it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a new nib and feed, so the pen was saved...

i guess what im trying to say in way fewer words is if it isnt a trusted brand of fountain pen ink i would keep looking till you find a place that carries something trustworthy!

--Dave

sbarton22

exercise some caution when buying inks from craft shops and art supply stores... if its not fountain pen friendly you could end up with a mess on your hands... i bought a little bottle of this really nice blue ink from a small art shop near my office and i asked the guy if it was fountain pen friendly... (ie, no shellac) he says oh yeah people come in here all the time and use that stuff in FP's... so i bought a small bottle to try it out and after a few days of use the flow sucked in an otherwise medium to wet writer... after doing a little investigation of the box, i discovered that the inside of one of the little flaps said "contains shellac" and i found my problem... pretty much ruined the feed, but fortunately it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a new nib and feed, so the pen was saved...

i guess what im trying to say in way fewer words is if it isnt a trusted brand of fountain pen ink i would keep looking till you find a place that carries something trustworthy!

--Dave

Ok, good advice. I obviously don't even know what a trusted brand is, at this point.

Would you suggest making simply checking for shellac as a basis for trial?

What are some of the tried and true brands?
I have seen Private Reserve come up in multiple posts, so I assume it is a reasonable place to start.

What else?

dow

He's not a member here, but I buy mine from The Ink Flow, in San Antonio. . He's got good prices, quick service, and is great to deal with. Guy's name is Luis, and he knows tons about ink and fountain pens.

Also, for more information than you'll ever want, including a HUGE section of ink reviews, along with color scans, go to Fountain Pen Network. Those folks bleed ink. :biggrin:

Last edited:

76winger

Exoticblanks and IndyPenDance are a couple IAP members I've dealt with and they both have a good offering of Inks. Other dealers mentioned are probably good also, I just don't have any experience with them yet. Any of the brands I've seen on these guys sites are good or they wouldn't be offering them.

I think some of the most popular are Private Reserve and Noodlers, although the other brands they carry may be popular as well but I'm just now seeing them for the first time myself.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Try Colorado Pens Direct (www.coloradopen.com). They have bottle and cartdrige at what looks like good prices...Word of warning...they have a huge selection of all brands of pens, pencils extc...Might buy more then what you went for...

Top Bottom