questions from the new guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bloodhound

Hello,
After reading some threads here and there. I tried to search to come up with a couple of answers to questions i came up with. But came up with not much in the line of answers. So, i have two questions now.

1. I see a lot of guys selling off inventory and moving up to "High End" pens. Can some one please explain to me "high end" or even give me a pic or link? So i can see what the difference is?

2. Now, this is a question for a different area im sure. But i didnt really find this topic either. I turned a few pens this past weekend (Xmas presents.) And i noticed (with my chuck on the lathe) that everything was dancing around the bench. Vibrations!!! I took the chuck off and at the highest speed i can still feel a slight vibration. Not a fan. I have a grizzly mid size lathe. Belt driven/adjusted. Can anyone tell me where to start looking for this problem? Bearing maybe??

Thank for your time in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello,
After reading some threads here and there. I tried to search to come up with a couple of answers to questions i came up with. But came up with not much in the line of answers. So, i have two questions now.

1. I see a lot of guys selling off inventory and moving up to "High End" pens. Can some one please explain to me "high end" or even give me a pic or link? So i can see what the difference is?

2. Now, this is a question for a different area im sure. But i didnt really find this topic either. I turned a few pens this past weekend (Xmas presents.) And i noticed (with my chuck on the lathe) that everything was dancing around the bench. Vibrations!!! I took the chuck off and at the highest speed i can still feel a slight vibration. Not a fan. I have a grizzly mid size lathe. Belt driven/adjusted. Can anyone tell me where to start looking for this problem? Bearing maybe??

Thank for your time in advance.

The first question is very very very very very subjective. Everyone has their ideas. I suggest make the pens you like to make and do the best selling job with them after you perfect the look and feel of them. here is a link and there are many more if you do a search they are there. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/what-high-end-70356/

As far as the lathe goes start by making sure the lathe is sitting square and level on the bench you are using and the bench is a sturdy one. Vibration can be transfered from the legs to the tool very easily. Maybe you will have to weigh the bench down. Then take all chucks off and run the lathe making sure the motor and all parts are secured to the lathe. make sure the pully is not wobbling. They have a tendency to come loose. make sure the belt is in good condition. If it is VS then run it through the speeds and see if there is one speed or so that the vibration shows up at. Could be bearings. Could be the chuck is out of balance too. Start with the lathe. List the make and model number here and maybe someone will give more specific answers. I gave you general answers. You can also do a search because this has been asked before. Maybe not your typical lathe but lathe is a lathe.

SteveG

Vibration: here are a few things that come to mind to check. (Likely not a complete list.)

Try steps which can further isolate or ID the source of vibration.
1. Slip the belt off the motor pulley, run the motor to see if the vibration is in the motor itself.
2. Check if the set screws for the pulleys are tight.
3. Check to see if the belt itself is worn.
4. Some have found that a pulley had an irregular surface where the pulley rides in the "V", causing vibes. It takes a careful inspection of all steps on each pulley to find this one, if it exists. The symptom will change with the different speeds, so that helps ID the problem, if that is what it is.

I hope you can find and fix the problem. Happy turning!

bloodhound

Thanks Steve and Clockman.

I will head to the shed tomorrow morning and start tearing into my lathe. A few of the causes i can count out. Like the bench. The lathe has been on that bench since i got the lathe. a few years. But on the other hand. wood is wood. that part of the shop was blown out. So it has a wood floor. And the bench is built off of the studs. So i will check the bench after all. Anyway, Thanks you two. i will inform you as i go. Have a good one.

paintspill

(1. I see a lot of guys selling off inventory and moving up to "High End" pens. Can some one please explain to me "high end" or even give me a pic or link? So i can see what the difference is?)

i wont touch on the lathe problem as it is beyond me. but i will touch on the high end pen question. first of a pen is worth what you can get for it. but a simple answer to your question is this,

slim line kit + scrap wood blank = $3.00
emperor fountain pen kit + burl blank = $75.95

and that doesn't include your time and other materials.
keep in mind that there is a lot of room between those extremes that will still produce incredible pens,

cheers

jttheclockman

(1. I see a lot of guys selling off inventory and moving up to "High End" pens. Can some one please explain to me "high end" or even give me a pic or link? So i can see what the difference is?)

i wont touch on the lathe problem as it is beyond me. but i will touch on the high end pen question. first of a pen is worth what you can get for it. but a simple answer to your question is this,

slim line kit + scrap wood blank = $3.00
emperor fountain pen kit + burl blank = $75.95

and that doesn't include your time and other materials.
keep in mind that there is a lot of room between those extremes that will still produce incredible pens,

cheers

That can also be just the opposite. The kit does not necessarily make it a highend pen. I can make a $500 slimline pen. That is why I said there are too many variables to answer that question. Now if you ask what are high dollar kits than that is easy.

nativewooder

On your vibration problem, slap a level on the bench and make sure it is level. Then do the same on the bed of the lathe. Then, go take a nap. That's what I'm going to do.:biggrin:

bloodhound

Ok well i was going to attach a pic of a few pens i just finished. But i seem to be having a hard time figuring out how to do that at the moment. anyway, I am making umm funline maybe? pens at the moment. and selling them for $20.

bloodhound

1_pen.jpg

Not sure if that worked or not.

I can't answer your question on the lathe vibration.. could be a number of problems and you've gotten some really good answers.

On the "High End" question... keep in mind that value is a perceived concept... if one perceives something to be of value, it it is, otherwise it isn't. "High end" Pens just have a higher perceived value... part of that is in the fit and finish, the wood, the appeal of the pen to the buyer, the sales skill of the seller, etc.... In another thread there was a reference to name brand pens like Waterman, Mont Blanc, etc vs the hand crafted pens that we turn out... it's just a matter of perception... a Mont Blanc or Waterman is mass produced, but because of the perception the company projects, they're more valuable than say a Bic.

Just my perception and opinion...

bloodhound

Yeah, that is where i took most of the posts. And there are many valid points. So, as long as the metal finish will last. And the craftsmanship is good. Then any pen "could" be a "high end" pen.

The only reason i asked was there are several posts about people selling off their inventory to move on to "high end" pens. So i was wondering WHAT they were moving on to. But i think im catching on.

So, Thanks everyone for your comments and help.

Top Bottom