Question re: Jet 10-20 Drum Sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I received a Jet 10-20 Drum Sander for Christmas from the LOML and I am wondering if anyone knows the grit of the sanding belt that came with the Sander. I am gong to get a variety of grits for different work and am wondering what my current setup is (my 'baseline').

Thanks In Advance,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Dan -- been a long time but think I remember 120 grit. Take it off and look on the back. It will rewrap.

dogrunner

its more than likely120 take it off and look at the back. if you have used it some wrap it back on the opposite it came off. as far as replacement paper go to supergrit.com and look at there 3inch wide x weight cloth rolls way cheaper than buying ready wraps.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Dan are you asking about the conveyor belt or the sanding paper around the spindle??? As far as sanding paper goes you need to ask yourself what you are going to be doing?? If you are sanding exotics and other woods with a lot of resin in them you need to stay a grit or two below what you use for domestics. The paper fills rapidly. I have various grits but i work different products and not just pens. I have up to 220 grit but hardly ever use it. I will go with 180 as my final paper on that machine. I will hand power sand 220 grit with an orbital sander to remove sanding marks. Oh yea by the way you will get them. One thing also to get is a sandpaper eraser. I get the large size ones and constantly use it to clean the paper.

Dan there are also little nuances that should be followed when using that machine. One is to sand equal amounts from both sides of the board. Other is to rotate the board 180 degrees after each pass so that a number is even when done sanding on that side of the board. I sand one direction and flip and sand the other direction and then flip the board and do the same before I lower the arm. This gives me an exact size thickness all around because if your arm is not set right it will sand a little too much on one end and not the other. The next thing is to clean sandpaper often. The final thing is to have max dust collection in place. They sure do create dust. But Those sanders are a blessing to use when you mill your own boards. Good luck.

KenV

Dan - I have grits down to 36 for cleaning pallet wood. Coarse works like a planer without the chip-outs. And it does not care if it finds a broken off nail.

Rolls will cost you less if you use it much. A piece of Baltic birch plywood and double stick tape will let you fine sand thin stock too.

Last -- there is a grid on the inside of the dust collector connection. That holds the detritus from using the crepe rubber cleaner on the sandpaper. From time to time take the hose off and clean up the trapped strings of rubber.

Top Bottom