Question..Pressure Casting In Plastic Cups?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mchech

I've used the small plastic 3 oz. cups to mix epoxy for years. Is it possible to pressure cast Alumilite by using small plastic cups for the mold? I'd like to make a few bottle stoppers and shaving brush handles and the square mold I have creates too much waste. Looking at those disposable 3 oz. cups I see the general shape with little waste. One part of my brain tells me it should work but another says I'm going to make a mess. My experience with casting is limited but I've found 50 psi does a bubble free blank using Alumilte. What do you think? Thanks

JohnU

I'd give it a shot. I don't know why it wouldn't work, especially if the cup has the rolled edge. I cast in small clear plastic tubes with no rolled edge and pressure doesn't distort them. Good luck!

BeSquare

As long as what you are putting in the pot isn't a closed vessel it really can't compress it. As another thought I use inch and a half PVC for my bottle stoppers and just use a capped end for the PVC on the bottom. The pipe is cheap and re usable.

Rich

Jim Burr

Banned
1.5" PVC is a great idea for stopper molds. I have 3 Stainless steel votive candles in a parallelogram shape. When doing a casting, I mix more resin than needed and add it to the molds when done...instant stopper blank!

Top Bottom