Question on tap size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRadem

I had purchased 5mm feeds with the 5mm tap to use with them from the same supplier.. I opened the tap box today and noticed written on the tap ..M6.5x6
Is this correct and if so anyone know the drill size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRadem

It is actually a M6.4 x 6 tap and I found that it is in fact for the 5MM Bock feed.
I am still questioning the drill size... 6.4 - 6 = 5.8 mm drill?

Texatdurango

I had purchased 5mm feeds with the 5mm tap to use with them from the same supplier.. I opened the tap box today and noticed written on the tap ..M6.5x6
Is this correct and if so anyone know the drill size?

Different brands use different threads, what brand nibs did you buy?

As far as the proper drill, the easiest way to remember the correct drill size is to subtract the thread pitch from the diameter of the tap. In this case it's 6.5mm-.6mm = 5.9mm. You would use a 5.9mm drill.

The best way to find out quickly is to drill a 5.9mm hole and tap it, then see if the feed housing screws in.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
YEP!

I just looked at my cheat sheet and saw that I use a Number #1 drill bit.[/quote]

Where does one get the cheat sheet? :)[/quote]

In the library under general reference http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/conversions.pdf (I keep a copy of this one on my desk top)

There is also a drill chart

Checking the chart a letter A or 15/64 may be a better fit if the tap goes in tight. Try different ones and see what you like. I use a C drill bit for the 6.5 X.5 with no problems although a B may be better. The plastic feeds are injection molded for production and are not always as round as you think. Some Even have mold fins left in the threads if you look close enough. Different bits may be needed for different materials. Softer materials that tend to stretch may need a bigger bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom