Question on Shop Life Photo Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

So I haven't posted the Shop Life rules yet, as I figured they would follow the Pen Photo rules for the most part, but I've been considering one issue. The photo being taken by the member. Beyond the use of a tripod/time release or similar, this would make it so members could not submit photos of themselves in their shop working. Does anyone have any opinions/suggestions on the following:

Shop Life Photos must be either take BY the person submitting the photo, or taken OF the person submitting the photo. In the case of the photo being OF the person in their shop, the photo must have been taken by a friend/family/household member who is not a member of the IAP, and therefore not able to enter on their own, or by the use of time delayed or remote trigger release.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe only problem and its probably a minor one, is that Families that have 2 members in the Iap could be excluded. Husband/wife, or unmarried spouses, or parent/ children type situations.

toddlajoie

THe only problem and its probably a minor one, is that Families that have 2 members in the Iap could be excluded. Husband/wife, or unmarried spouses, or parent/ children type situations.

IMO, if the photo were taken by an IAP Member, relative of the subject or otherwise, they should enter it... Or do I misunderstand your issue?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lets say one of our members wanted to enter a picture of himself doing something in the shop. He might not own a remote. He could not have his wife/girlfriend/spouse who was also a member snap the picture. I guess I would ask what does eliminating an Iap member from taking the picture for him(or her) do to make it a better contest.

toddlajoie

My thinking was that allowing another member to take the photo would open the door to one member, who might be a great photographer, taking photos of 6 other members, and having those 6 members all enter the contest with his photo, and basically the same photographer could win 1st 2nd and 3rd... ( I won't speculate on collusion by those members, let's just call it competitive zeal...)

If the member's wife/girlfriend/spouse/child is a member, why would they not want them to submit the photo if they took it? But allowing non-members to take the photo for them would allow people who don't have a remote to submit photos of themselves without allowing a back-door for technically multiple entries from the same photographer...

Is this maybe just a can of worms, and would I be better off strictly enforcing that the photographer must be the person entering the photo? I was just thinking of some of the photos that were submitted in years past that showed members working, and wanting to give those without remotes the ability to submit themselves working... If it's too difficult to explain or otherwise an issue, I don't have a problem with the "you must be the photographer" rule...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would think that the person entering the photo needs to be the one taking the photo would be the easiest path. If you decide to keep it we can see if it generates any flack in the public forum when its reviewed. We will be putting the contests rule out for public scrutiny late next week to give them 2 weeks to look at them.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I also think that the person entering the photo should be the person who takes the photo. If a person wants to enter a "Shop Life" photo that includes a person doing something in the shop the contestant can use a a family member or some other person for picture instead of using another person to take the picture of the contestant doing something in the shop. (I hope that makes sense)

toddlajoie

OK, that was my concern, that it was a solution to a problem that wasn't really big enough to worry about and caused more than it solved...

Consider the matter closed. Photos must taken by the person submitting it.

Top Bottom