Question on Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Under what conditions do you chose to use a separator between segments?
Some use aluminum, brass, guitar picks etc etc.
When would you simply glue segment to segment with no separator?

I have done a couple both ways but curious what guidelines you all you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

I think it is a personal preference or if your trying to sell, what sells the best and this differs from area to area. I have seen amazing segmented pens that are wood to wood and then ones that are segmented with a spacer or aluminum or plastic or pic guard. All or them are gorgeous.

gbpens

Segmenting with metal or acrylic adds another color and contrast to the design. While this is certainly a matter of personal taste it does add complexity and time to the building and turning of the blank. Metal should be sanded to remove any protective coating. The more joints in a given piece the more chance of breaking when turning.

plantman

Keith; As far as looks, it is your personal tastes that determan how and what you join your pieces with. If I am doing a straight 90 degree segmenting, I will pre drill my metal and use the tube to put the pieces together when I glue them. If you are going to segment at angles, you have to assemble, glue, and then drill. You will find that pic guard is much easier to drill at an angle than metal that requires very sharp drill bits. My personal thought on the matter is, that the metal or plastic spacers make the project look more up scale that a wood against wood. I have made many both ways, but I find that the longer you make pens, the more sophisticated you want to make them and the more you want to show that your craftsmanship is improving. Jim S

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Really none Keith...I use whatever floats my boat. Leaning toward the metal side, done a few with veneer...but just whatever looks good.

keithbyrd

Looking at other segmented pens I think I like separator materials but I have two pens to finish by Monday! SO I think I am going to glue wood to wood - just because of the simplicity of the joint. I hope I don't regret it - these are a special set of wedding pens from African and Brazilian wood!

plantman

Looking at other segmented pens I think I like separator materials but I have two pens to finish by Monday! SO I think I am going to glue wood to wood - just because of the simplicity of the joint. I hope I don't regret it - these are a special set of wedding pens from African and Brazilian wood!

Keith; Both of these woods look great with pop can dividers.!! Only takes a few minutes more. Jim S

keithbyrd

Keith; Both of these woods look great with pop can dividers.!! Only takes a few minutes more. Jim S

Jim,
I think you are probably right - but 12 pieces of metal etc etc - and only have Friday evening and Saturday to get them finished! SO I just finished gluing wood to wood! I hope I don't regret it!:confused:

Janster

....depending on your lay/pattern, you can pre drill the metal partitions, then do your glue up. Even if you just make a 1/4" hole it really help when drilling as it seems the hardest part is breaking through the metal sections as that creates the most heat . Make sure your bits are straight sharp and true! Good luck and be well......Jan

keithbyrd

I opted to go with the wood to wood because of time. I did the glue up on two pens with 3 segments each in about 30 minutes. I would liked to have used the metal but time is this scarce commodity when you wait to the last minute to do things!
Thanks for your advice and I will do a couple segments with metal when this is done!

Top Bottom