Question on cypress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I picked up some 8/4 cypress to make some handles for garden tools. My question is how should I finish it? Cypress is pretty weather resistant. I have been putting a CA/BLO finish on the hickory handles we made. I am wondering if just putting an oil finish on them would work with cypress.

dogcatcher

For tool handles I like to use a BLO and beeswax mix. Not any particular ratio, I melt about 2 ounces of beeswax and stir it into a pint bottle of BLO. The actual amount of BLO is less than a pint. Wipe it on, let it sit and then wipe any excess off.

monophoto

Cypress is naturally oily and resistant to moisture. Pure Tung Oil would complement that very well, as would one of the commercial danish oils. The thing you want to avoid is a hard-shell surface finish like polyurethane.

My go-to finish for tool handles is an oil-wax blend. Howard's Feed'n Wax is a commercial product, but its very easy to make your own by dissolving paste wax in a solvent (I prefer turpentine, but mineral spirits works also), and then blending in BLO or Tung Oil. The ratio of the components is not at all critical; some people prefer it to be a paste or cream, but I prefer it as a liquid. Looks nice, and makes the handle very comfortable in the hand. It has to be refreshed every few years, but that's simple - just wipe on some more and buff with a cloth.

Top Bottom