Question about the flat stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wheaties

Wheaties

I'm making some cedar chests for end tables as well as a larger chest for toys. All of it will be in the basement. The gist of my basement is dark wood (more rugged looking than elegant), old tools for some decoration, and large wood slab clock on the wall.

So my question is what would you recommend for a finish? I was thinking about just leaving it unfinished, maybe a danish oil finish? I wasn't planning on doing any stain either, but I'm open for suggestions.

Just looking for some others who have built with cedar and what they did (or wish they did).

Thanks

keithlong

Hey Zach,
Several years ago, about 20, I made all sizes of cedar hope chests and sold a lot of them, around 200 of them. I always finished mine with clear Lacquer. If you are going to have them in your basement, you may want to consider putting a finish on them, unless you want them to turn grey, which is what cedar will do unprotected. I never finished the inside of them, except one time when a customer requested it because his wife was elergic to the smell of red cedar. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom