Question about slimline kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bubbatd

OK new to this kind of turning and my search didn't result in an answer. I ordered chrome slimline kits from craft supply and have a hard time getting the end cap and clip on the top of the barrel. Would a ream in the end of the clip be OK or is there some trick that I should learn?
When I try to press the end cap and clip to the barrel it will start crooked and damage the brass. I know I don't want to keep doing that anymore.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Firstly, make sure you are square going in. Secondly, you may use a 1/4 bit to slightly ream the very beginning of the tube. not going in past say 1/8". Even if you do go to far, you can apply a drop of CA in the tube to retain the clip.

pipecrafter

How are you pressing the pieces in? What tools are you using?

I typically use my drill press and line everything up by eye. I put the piece on the barrel, then give it a slight press in - only enough to see if it's going in straight. If not, I readjust everything and try again, making sure to get the piece straight in the process.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK new to this kind of turning and my search didn't result in an answer. I ordered chrome slimline kits from craft supply and have a hard time getting the end cap and clip on the top of the barrel. Would a ream in the end of the clip be OK or is there some trick that I should learn?
When I try to press the end cap and clip to the barrel it will start crooked and damage the brass. I know I don't want to keep doing that anymore.
Hi Tom; I know exactly what you are talking of. I wrecked a couple of Father Sing pens from CS USA before finding this instruction for 7 mm pens on another site.

3. Press the clip and the finial together. A split 7 MM tube will help accomplish this.

4. Start the clip over the finial. Place the split end of the tube below the clip and over the tapered end of the finial. Use the tube to press the clip into place.

5. Press the clip/finial assembly into one end of the other tube.

By using the above instruction, you will have the finial and the clip in one piece. You won't be attempting to hold the 2 pieces (clip & finial) separately.

It works great for me. I hope you can understand the instruction. It seemed straight forward the 1st time I read it.

bubbatd

I use this press
142731_230.jpg

And thank you Mackc I like that tip and will give it a try. I don't think that using a ream would be a good idea and will also give the drill trick a try.

PenPal

Tom

I do use a reamer purchased from a radio shack type place, there are very slow tapers and handles that are perfect , easy to use and have a slow bite, cheap as well. Have used reamers for many years now with 100 per cent success rate. I press with a one ton bearing press modified in the anvil bottom and fitted with thin Corian in the press part.

Regards Peter.

kent4Him

I use this press
142731_230.jpg

And thank you Mackc I like that tip and will give it a try. I don't think that using a ream would be a good idea and will also give the drill trick a try.

No offense intented, but don't waste your time with one of these. Get yourself an arbor press.

hughbie

i actually use my drill press. i have a 'soft' material pad that i put down on the table......and i also have a fairly large bolt that i had a friend remove the thread and squared off the face then i glued a small piece of wood on the face and put it in the chuck....relatively soft on both ends so as not to damage the pen hardware

bubbatd

I am like I said new to this so I serch'd for arbor press and came up with something like this.
0951110-11.jpg

is that what you were talking about?

Top Bottom