Question about segmenting metal into pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gridlockd

Hi to all,

I have a question about segmenting metal into a wood pen. I really like the look of wood and metal and wondered about how to go about this. I've seem some of the pens with the metals inlaid into them, they look really sharp! so what metals are ok to use? what do you glue them with? any special tools required? drilling considerations? any and all help is appreciated, I want to try this, but am not sure where to begin, and i definitely don't want to ruin any tools in the process!

~gridlockd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I've used aluminum & brass. It doesn't require any special tools to turn. Just be sure they are sharp. The big thing is to make sure the blank doesn't get too hot when drilling or turning. The glue will fail if it gets too hot. Also, you'll need standard drill bits. Brad point bits will not work well with metal. At least with sheet metal.

And as far as what kind of glue to use, I've used both CA & epoxy with about the same degree of success. Or maybe a better way of saying it would be the same degree of failure.:)

gridlockd

Good info to know, thanks Bob. I wonder about using copper? I am thinking about something like a penny. would that work? it's quite a bit thicker, and I don't think its pure copper....

jmbaker79

Think you would have trouble with a penny as it has relief and would not meet flat. Also they are not copper all the way through. HF sells a box of assorted copper washers that I have used for segmenting.... Turn fine with sharp tools and light cuts. Love the look of copper!

Jim Burr

Banned
I used the tutorial in the Library and got a lot out of it! I think a penny, a composite alloy, would be to hard. Don't know for sure...just a thought. Just used aluminium and copper in a couple pens and they were easy to turn and finish.

gridlockd

thanks for all the info guys! really appreciate it. I may try this soon, now that i have some solid answers on it.

~gridlockd

ctubbs

Most any nonferrous metal will turn fine with regular tools if kept thin. I have had some success joining copper to aluminum and wood. The contrast of the copper, aluminum and copper with wood around the sandwich looked pretty cool, but you must not use a brad point bit to drill and the bit must be sharp. Feed slow and keep cool or the parts become just parts again. DAMHIKT I would show pictures but that trash has already been turned into kindling. It did finally make a nice looking pen. When turning, keep your tools very sharp and avoid a catch at all cost. Again the blank will become jsut a pile of parts. I have the mental scares to prove that, too. From start to finish, sharp tools, gentle small cuts, CA as needed while turning, keep everything cool, especially yourself and remove the drill swarf regularly. Other than that, segmenting metal into a wood or acrylic pen is a snap.
Charles

frank123

Good info to know, thanks Bob. I wonder about using copper? I am thinking about something like a penny. would that work? it's quite a bit thicker, and I don't think its pure copper....

Since 1982 a penny has been 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper.

You're not working with copper with them, you're working with copper colored zinc.

RickLong

I've done a couple blanks with M3 Metal & wood.. Works great and used CA glue.... As long as you don't build up a lot of heat the CA glue works fine for me. The M3 is a little expensive but the pens look awesome... ( brown ebony & M3 galactic silver, is one of my favorites)

Good luck!

Rick

wouldentu2?

Aluminum, copper and brass are available in small sheets at most hardware stores.

One thing I have tried unsuccessfully is to use old LP albums, so far the record does not stick to the wood well. Will try a different Epoxy.

Ebony-brass-aluminum-brass-ebony sandwiched in this segment, glued each layer individually with medium CA, then generously applied thin CA all over. Turned with a Easy Wood Tools Ci2M tool. Sorry for lousy photo. Just finished the pen an hour ago and took the photo in a hurry.

Attachments

• Pens 050.jpg
    Pens 050.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom