Question about seasoning wood for turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

I have been given some wood that I would like to turn. It ranges from stuff cut quite a while ago, to stuff I just got while they were trimming a tree in my neighborhood.

How do I 'season' both kinds for turning? The old stuff is Walnut, Hollywood Cypress and Olive. The new is Red Oak.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

It depends on what you mean by 'season' it.

For the fresh cut, if you want to prevent it from cracking/checking you would seal the end grain with green wood sealer. This is not a guarantee that it won't crack but it will help to prevent it in most cases. You need to do this asap.

The wood that was cut a while ago you have many choices. You could seal it to prevent any further checking or just leave it alone and let it do what it will do. You can even leave it outside in a place to promote spalting to give it more character.

Your choices all depend on when the wood was cut, what you want to accomplish and what you will make from it.

D.Oliver

One the green wood, I use paint, rather than wood sealer. I go get the stuff that they mixed wrong. It's usually discounted pretty good and for what I'm using it for I don't care what color it is or what it was supposed to be. I've used both oil base and latex. If you're making bowls like the one you just turned, I prefer green wood. For spindle work I prefer drier wood. Especially with the walnut, the drier it is the more problems I have with end grain tear out when turning bowls.

shastastan

I have been given some wood that I would like to turn. It ranges from stuff cut quite a while ago, to stuff I just got while they were trimming a tree in my neighborhood.

How do I 'season' both kinds for turning? The old stuff is Walnut, Hollywood Cypress and Olive. The new is Red Oak.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

good advice, here. I recommend using a moisture meter. You can get one, made by General, for around $13 approx. Or you can weigh the pieces each month and record until the weight stays the same. Yes, seal the wood right away. I use Anchorseal. Moisture content can be tricky and depends on where you live. I used to live in Concord so I have some idea of the humidity in your town.

I cut up a willow branch that was pretty wet to make some weed pots. Before finishing, I put em in the microwave for 20 sec stints. I've only tried this with small stuff though. YMMV.

SDB777

It would also depend on what type of turning you are going to do?

Bowl, then turn it and bag it with shavings.
Pens, cut and process into whatever size you like and stack it for drying.

Scott (some loss from drying is acceptable to me) B

Top Bottom